Stopped by the Coast Guard today Stopped by the Coast Guard today Stopped by the Coast Guard today Stopped by the Coast Guard today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stopped by the Coast Guard today

Had the wife and two kids our for a ride today. We were coming south and just passed by Mouse on the East side at about 1:00. I said to my kids, "is that a coast guard boat coming hard on a NW course?' It looked like he may have just left their Marblehead station. They were in what looked to be about a 42 foot aluminum boat, with a orange padded rub rail area around the entire boat. He saw me running south as he was going north and he hit the lights. I knew I was ok with everything. They pulled alongside in a heavy chop and constant troughs and he said I was doing nothing wrong, he just had to check a few more boats today. He said he chose my 27 foot center console as it would be easy for him to board today in a rocky situation. When he stopped me, what does every boat passing north and south do? They all have to get real close to us to see what is going on. That really made it for a rocky situation. The first question he asked me was if I had any weapons on board. I replied no. HE said he would proceed to board us. There was was a fantastic helmsman who really did a great job preventing his boat from hitting ours. Another member of the team stood on the side of their boat with a large white fender to prevent their boat from hitting ours. Their was a young man standing on the side taking the paperwork that they gathered from me. HE wanted my drivers license and registration. Then he checked my flares, and fire extinguisher. I had my throwable ring above my head in the hardtop, but he wanted it out in in the cockpit and available at all times. My entire family, dog included, had on our life vests, so he was happy with that. WE never step on our boat without wearing a life preserver! It was all good and they were on their way.
    I had never been stopped before, and I thought some of you may want to know what they do.

Default Re: Stopped by the Coast Guard today

I've been checked at the dock a few times but only a couple of times on the water. like you, my paperwork was checked. it was a routine stop and we were back on our way in minutes. we were checked at the geneva ramps a couple of yrs ago and they did it right. everything was checked down to the spark arrestor on the carb. and that was my only call. he said it needed to be cleaned before too long. then he gave me a sticker for the boat that showed we had had a coast guard inspection.

I’m just curious why it’s okay for this to happen on a boat but unlawful to pull you over in an automobile without probable cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I’m just curious why it’s okay for this to happen on a boat but unlawful to pull you over in an automobile without probable cause?
    It is like a highway vehicle safety inspection stop that was/is carried out by the state only on the water instead under federal guidelines, Ohio division of water craft also has that same authority under state guidelines.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

So we have been boating our entire lives. Are flares required? We boat federal impoundments and I have been checked a few times, they never asked for them.

I was hailed by the Coast Guard for a vessel check a few years ago as I was coming in the channel to West Harbor. My brother in law happened to be driving my boat at the time. They came alongside and we were advised to continue idling up the channel as they stayed alongside us. They did an abbreviated check - life jackets, fire extinguisher and distress signals. All done quickly, and very professionally, and at the end we had a little idle chat. They asked about our fishing etc.
    These people have my utmost respect.

These guys were top shelf professional crewmen. I had no issues and I learned to have my throwable ring out and ready at all times. I am glad I finally got to experience a spot by them.

Yes flares are required. They do have an expiration date on them so you have to replace them every couple tears. I bought a coast guard approved LED light it's an alternative to flares. You need to make sure you keep good batteries with you at all times but it's cheaper and doesn't expire.
    Last edited by badboards; 08-09-2021 at 06:09 PM.

In checking further as I understand it. Coastal waters, the Great Lakes and tributaries only. Good to know as I plan on bringing my boat next year.

Iowawalleye, yes day/night visual distress signals are required on lake Erie. Most boaters carry the orange flag for daytime, and the handheld flares for night time. Suggest you check out the newer electronic LED signaling devices.