Catching perch with pin head shiners. Catching perch with pin head shiners. Catching perch with pin head shiners. Catching perch with pin head shiners.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Catching perch with pin head shiners.

About me:
    I have not posted on this site since 2017 but have read this forum off and on for the past 4 years. I have never been one to give bogus information or stand by and let someone steer this fishing community wrong with bogus information while I was actively posting. Check my history if in doubt.

I decided to post now because some of the newer members seem to be having trouble hooking and harvesting perch while fishing with pin head shiners. The two things that I have learned over the years while perch fishing with pin head shiners is to downsize my fish hooks. I always carry along a supply of #8 fine wire rotating hooks most often red in color, (Tru-Turn, Mr Crappie or Eagle claw) to name a few, and a quality hook disgorger with a small enough end to remove hooks from smaller fish. To me bait holder hooks are not suitable since they are made from heavier wire and don’t penetrate as easy as the fine wire hooks.

The small wire diameter of the #8 hooks allow you to get those pin heads on the hook without breaking or destroying them, I hooked my pinheads through the eyes and then back out thru the body or the reverse of that method. This make the bait presentation more durable with less lost bait with fewer empty hooks after a bite resulting in a higher catch rate the perch have a harder time getting the bait off without getting the hook in their mouth.

I hope this helps with catching perch while using pin heads.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Re: Catching perch with pin head shiners.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    About me:
    I have not posted on this site since 2017 but have read this forum off and on for the past 4 years. I have never been one to give bogus information or stand by and let someone steer this fishing community wrong with bogus information while I was actively posting. Check my history if in doubt.

I decided to post now because some of the newer members seem to be having trouble hooking and harvesting perch while fishing with pin head shiners. The two things that I have learned over the years while perch fishing with pin head shiners is to downsize my fish hooks. I always carry along a supply of #8 fine wire rotating hooks most often red in color, (Tru-Turn, Mr Crappie or Eagle claw) to name a few, and a quality hook disgorger with a small enough end to remove hooks from smaller fish. To me bait holder hooks are not suitable since they are made from heavier wire and don’t penetrate as easy as the fine wire hooks.

The small wire diameter of the #8 hooks allow you to get those pin heads on the hook without breaking or destroying them, I hooked my pinheads through the eyes and then back out thru the body or the reverse of that method. This make the bait presentation more durable with less lost bait with fewer empty hooks after a bite resulting in a higher catch rate the perch have a harder time getting the bait off without getting the hook in their mouth.

I hope this helps with catching perch while using pin heads.
    wakina; Thank you for sharing and I hope you will post more often on any hot spots and techniques in order to help those looking to enjoy a better fishing experience.
    When I use golden shiners I put the hook in the gut sack and ripe it out then do a full hook up from the head to the tail.
    I also use red tru turn hooks, these hold up to the big sheep head and some nice walleye.
    (head boat captain once shared this advice with me some years ago)
    ~Water Dog

Thanks good advice. When I was a kid, fish for perch, and crappie I believe we used a #10 hook, very small, for small craws, leeches, pinheads

Wakina, I have always thought you were one of the most honest and helpful people this site has ever had. So glad you are back! I sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    wakina; Thank you for sharing and I hope you will post more often on any hot spots and techniques in order to help those looking to enjoy a better fishing experience.
    When I use golden shiners I put the hook in the gut sack and ripe it out then do a full hook up from the head to the tail.
    I also use red tru turn hooks, these hold up to the big sheep head and some nice walleye.
    (head boat captain once shared this advice with me some years ago)
    ~Water Dog
    I sure wish that I could share hot spots with the members but until Sunday August 1, 2021 I had not been on the water since 2017 due to personal medical issues and an elderly parent that lived with me and needed my attention she passed this last November at age 97.

I sold my boat in 2018 with all of my walleye gear as a package deal to the owner of Paradise Acres Campground, all 10 rods & 10 line counter reels and 8 inline boards as well as 2 stern planers, 2 boxes of crank baits most of which had never been wet and about 50 worm harnesses. I kept all of my perch gear just in case, i am glad I did.

It seems that by taking my doctors advise as well as slowing down my life style I was able to overcome my medical problems to the point that I felt comfortable enough to go back out on the water again. I went out with a head boat from fisherman's wharf, the Miss Cindy. 12 People caught a total of 36 perch with the captain and first mate catching half of them. I caught 3 keepers all of which were over the 10" mark and one throw back about 5" which was released unharmed. We fished north of Crib Reef for the first stop and next stop and about halfway between Niagara and C-can, next we moved to just west of the rattles of Rattle Snake Island the final stop was about 1/2 mile SE of Green Island. Only one sheep head was caught on-board all day and no white perch that I am aware of and one 18" walleye. We used a mix of Goldies and emerald shiners. the bite was non existent most of the day.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-08-2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by J Marshall View Post
    Thanks good advice. When I was a kid, fish for perch, and crappie I believe we used a #10 hook, very small, for small craws, leeches, pinheads
    I tried the #10 hooks a few times but was killing to many under sized perch, seems like they would inhale the minnow and hook without detection and the hook would be to deep by the time I was able to detect the bite, admittedly that was before I started using braided line. I found that I was catching enough fish with the #8 hooks so I never went back to # 10 hooks. To clarify I normally use a #6 hook but use the #8 with the pinheads.

I sure wish I could still get those young of the year crayfish about 1/4th to 3/8s inches long. They were always good for perch, blue gills and crappie they all loved them. But now with the sheep head, carp, gobies and white perch you would probably need 70 or more per fishermen to get a limit of perch. We always caught our own in a drainage ditch that bordered my parents property. But the county ruined that with the constant weed control spraying that killed most of the breeders.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Wakina, glad to see you back and that you overcame the medical issues! And good info on the hook sizes. I've been perch jetkin for many years but your point about the thinner wire hooks and smaller hooks makes sense. Thanks

Wakina, great advice. The other tactic I use is to employ the smallest sinker possible to get to the bottom. Depending on conditions, that can be as little as 1/4 oz. The light weight really helps me detect the light bites, especially if used with braid.

Wakina - So glad you and your good advice are back! You generously took me out once for a trolling lesson. Great time. I share your pain on the medical injured reserve. I missed most of last year between Covid situation plus a spinal surgery. Then this Easter I was diagnosed with autoimmune disease which has gotten worse. Docs are still trying to find the right combo of meds to manage it, but right now I am barely able to walk, let alone fish or get my boat out of storage. Going to OSU and hopefully soon they will get me on a program which turns this around. If not yet this season by next. (missing two seasons in a row is torture!) When they do I will offer to take you out perching!

PM sent:
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS