Fishing with a Massive Hangover Fishing with a Massive Hangover Fishing with a Massive Hangover Fishing with a Massive Hangover
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fishing with a Massive Hangover

Call Reid Van Cleve at 419-429-8389 O.D.N.R. for Ottawa county.And ask him how it works.I sure know.And yourreally teaching the millenials not the facts or regulations. Theres lots of people who read this forum which is great 99 percent of time.But theres always the 1 percent who either dont know or care about laws.

Sorry Buckeyezip and everyone who believes his theory- Cooley Farms is correct. The DOW does not recognize boat limits as the legal method of counting daily bag limits. In fact, I know of a fisherman who was ticketed during the spring jig bite a few years ago for overbagging when he had the hot hand and caught the majority of the walleyes on the boat one morning.

Even though the total boat count only had the legal number of walleyes on board, the game wardens had been watching them fish long enough to see who caught and kept how many fish, then followed them into the marina and wrote the guilty party up. It doesn't happen often, because watching a group to tally individual catches is not an efficient use of their time, but sometimes they get intel by splitting up the group and asking them individually who caught how many to see if someone spills the beans.

I know the ODNR still considers legally ,that each person on a boat is only allowed to reel in their 6 walleye or their 30 perch.I have heard,rarely,that they have even gave a citation for someone catching more than their 6 fish and giving the extra to somebody else.Have read lengthy discussions on this subject on OGF about the practicality of the ODNR enforcing that law.The discussion ultimately results in the consensus,that the ODNR should change the law and recognize a boat limit instead of an individual limit.How often does a charter or private boat keep track of how many fish each person reeled in and have people stop fishing while the rest of the boat continues to fish.That answer is practically nobody.

I agree with your observations and have written articles supporting "boat limits" but I was just pointing out that the law doesn't presently allow it. However, having a wife on board reading or tanning just to allow those who are fishing to be able to keep an additional limit of fish not only breaks the letter of the law, but also the intent of daily bag limits (and ethical sportsmanship), namely fair distribution among the "fishing participants."

It is impractical, if not nearly impossible to keep track of who kept how many perch when a single cooler is often the norm on most boats. Even an accurate walleye count is tough to assign to specific anglers when undersize fish and non-target species are being thrown back, hence my support of boat limits to keep anglers from being cited like a common poacher when they are attempting to behave by observing a boat limit.

three on the boat if everyone has a license 18 fish.

I have a nephew who likes to walleye fish. He’s under 30 so I think he’s a millennial. I invited him to fish in June. He made the drive down from Detroit to meet us at 8am on a Saturday morning at Catawba. He was extremely hung over and puked overboard several times and one time on the deck. I demonstrated the wash down system and he was impressed. He reeled in fish all day and never asked to go in. I think it depends on how much you’re into the fishing. I sent him home with the 6 largest fish and received a text back later that evening with a picture of the fish on his dining room table. He never had much given to him as a child and had to make his own way. I think that also makes a difference.

2 hours late, next time leave him at dock.