Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp

Default Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp

Morning Guys and Gals,
    so Im a Big Boat Guy. Im redoing electronics on my vessel (330EC Sea Ray). I went with the Furuno GP1971F MFD model Head Units. These units allow me to either run a Chirp program or Traditional dual freq. program. Being a Big Boat i dont have Spot Lock, and I dont work the Shore Line or Marinas, I just Troll open water and Perch fish.
    I have to use Thru Hull Model Transducers. So Im looking for advice from my fellow captains as to which Transducer Style I should go with.
    "Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp" do I really need the chirp for trolling???
    My units do not have Side Vu or anything like that I just have Down Imaging capabilities. So I would really like the largest cone area possible which is generally produced by a Dual Freq.Traditional Transducer.
    Let me know what you think everyone and give me some feedback it will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Re: Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you a few things I've learned researching fishfinder sonar.

A duel frequency transducer is a step up from a single frequency transducer. They have three frequency settings as opposed to the older single frequency transducers. One sonar frequency per angle. Wide sonar angle (low frequency) is good for showing a lot of the water column and bottom but shows the least detail. Medium sonar angle (medium frequency) is in the middle, better details of both the water column and the bottom but with a narrower sonar angle. Narrow sonar angle (high frequency) is the best at showing detail of the water column and the bottom but has the narrowest sonar angle. A wide angle sonar shows a wider area around the boat, it shows more of what's around you. The narrower you get, the less of the surrounding water column you see.

Different sonar frequencies are good at showing different things. Chirp, or multiple frequency transducers, send out anywhere from 30-40 up to around 100 sonar frequencies for each sonar angle, so they will show more detail because they use various frequencies thus building a more detailed image. They are still wide, medium, and narrow sonar angles, but produce a much more detailed image within those angles.

Go with a chirp or multiple frequency transducer. The technology is quickly evolving, so make sure you get a model that will be compatible with the next generation or two of screen units. You'll see a lot more detail and have a lot more ability to focus in on whatever you want to see.

While both the transducer and screen unit technology is advancing, the biggest advances are coming in how the computer software in the screen unit interprets the sonar signals. The more advanced that software gets, the better "picture" it will be able to produce from the sonar frequencies.

Most of us have little idea how these units will change fishing in the near future, the detail they will tell us. They already have, but as the saying goes, "you ain't seen nothing yet."
    Last edited by West Basin; 07-27-2021 at 08:09 AM. Reason: correct

Default Re: Too Chirp or Not Too Chirp

Good read and info on sonar.Thanks