Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Dipsy Diver setting's

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    That's a lot to take in. I'm going to be reading this over and over for days to fully understand it and I mean that in a good way. I had tangled line, twisting line pretty much all of the above. Fishing shouldn't be that hard. should do a instructional video Bob it would help a lot of people out. Thanks

The best thing I have found to reduce tangles when running multiple dipseys on each side is to let them out by loosening the drag and not just using the clicker. We loosen the drag just enough so that they go out very slowly. This keeps them pulling so they stay away from each other and stops them from spinning, etc. If we need to bring in a dipsey for some reason, we will point the rod at the dipsey and pull straight back, which will easily trip the diver. It will then rise quickly and fall back to the middle. We run the forward most rods on a 3 setting, with more line out. The next rod back is on a 1 setting with less line out. Then on the corners we have our down-riggers. If you let them out with the drag, you should not have tangles.
    Last edited by slimshady; 07-28-2021 at 08:19 AM.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    The best thing I have found to reduce tangles when running multiple dipseys on each side is to let them out by loosening the drag and not just using the clicker. We loosen the drag just enough so that they go out very slowly. This keeps them pulling so they stay away from each other and stops them from spinning, etc. If we need to bring in a dipsey for some reason, we will point the rod at the dipsey and pull straight back, which will easily trip the diver. It will then rise quickly and fall back to the middle. We run the forward most rods on a 3 setting, with more line out. The next rod back is on a 1 setting with less line out. Then on the corners we have our down-riggers. If you let them out with the drag, you should not have tangles.
    One more thing: When setting lines, we put out the forward rod first and put it in a rod-holder, with the drag just loose enough so that it goes out slowly. As soon as the first one is starting to go out, we start on the second one. We will have 4-6 rods all going out at once.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

That's a lot to take in. I'm going to be reading this over and over for days to fully understand it and I mean that in a good way. I had tangled line, twisting line pretty much all of the above. Fishing shouldn't be that hard. should do a instructional video Bob it would help a lot of people out. Thanks
    Try this video - although its a salmon application the principal is the same.

In case the embedded link didn't work here's the direct URL - Setting and Managing Double Divers - YouTube

Pretty good video. Is it important to toss your outside diver that way. I was just letting it out slowly next to the inside diver.

Pretty good video. Is it important to toss your outside diver that way. I was just letting it out slowly next to the inside diver.
    We don't toss them to the side. I rig all of my divers with a fairly long lead (for salmon). Just let lure out behind the boat, extend rod out and over the inside diver line before deploying slowly. As others have mentioned we ran our high divers at a 3+ and low divers 1-1/2 - 2. If we're running mag divers they go on the low/inside, and smaller divers up high.

We are able to trip and reset either high or low divers without having to pull the other first. That is with a flasher/fly combo twirling behind, so I would think a walleye spoon or stick bait wouldn't pose issues either.

We have 8' rods on the inside (low) and 9' on the outside (high). Seems to work fine. Just make sure all the dipsies are set for the right side.. easy enough to mess up. Also those dials can get a little loose, so need to make sure the 3 stays on 3, etc..
    Last edited by rcolson29; 07-28-2021 at 11:45 AM.

I'll give that a try. It would seem deploying the outside diver behind the boat and crossing it over the inside sounds like suicide. I'm assuming the inside diver is deep enough that it crosses right over without a problem. Thanks for the tip.

I'm running a 30'+ leader to my lure, so trying to dangle that to the side would be difficult. L Mich water is so clear that leader lengths have increased over the years. If a person is running less than a 10' leader I'd probably just hang the whole works outside of the inner diver and begin to deploy. Sorry for the confusion... my brain is in salmon mode yet. Wish Erie wasn't 12 hrs away for me, because that Summer bite sounds like a blast! Good luck!

I'm still learning how to run dipsy divers. I kept getting tangled with the two poles together on one side. Does the 3 setting make the diver go out or back farther. I learned back farther but when you reel the 3 setting in how do you not get tangled with the 1 setting.
    Here is a sample version of what I use when fishing 50 foot of water, and targeting in the 30+ foot range

I prefer Dreamweaver Dispy divers over Luhr Jensen (preference). I also take a finger nail file and sand/file in between the release because generally they are too tight from the factory for my liking.

I use two different sizes of Divers- 107mm on my inside boards and 82mm on my outside boards. (preference)

Shorter length poles inside( 8' )and longer on the outside (10') also helps!

Keep in mind you can only use spoons, worm harnesses (w/ short lead lenghs) and shallow divers on the dipsys

Tangle preventers

1) Make sure the outside dipsy divers are going away from the boat not towards it
    2) Use the clicker once sending the divers out (Slow and controlled)
    3) Click over once desired length is reached and set drag light but not too light in case of a very large fish or stealhead

Best of luckDipsy Diver setting's-20210729_143103-jpg
    Last edited by Erie Encounter; 07-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks EE sounds like good advice.