Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dipsy Diver setting's

When you have a fish on your outer rod, and it is set farther back, it will move even farther back once the diver is tripped. Also generally the fish will rise as the whole rig also swings behind the boat clearing your first dipsey rod. Think of your rods being set like the wings on a jet. The farthest one out should also be the farthest one set back.

pimplepounder is giving you great advice. i recommend anyone starting out with divers go out at least 1 time on a charter the fishes divers. it is the best money you will spend on fishing divers. I went out 2 days I guess I'm a little slow, LOL. but after those 2 days, we went out on our own running 3 divers per side. we still had a few tangles. some were because we let them out too fast and they tangled on the way out. sone tangles were getting the divers set on the wrong side of the boat. boy did that cause some mother of all tangles. and some were caused by just bringing in a fish or empty line. so besides these here is my advice.

if you're running your 3 diver in the front out say 150' to get to the fish. you need to set your 1 diver out 135' to keep them apart. I run 3 divers now and have very few tangles. but we'll keep you on 2 for now. the most important thing you can do if you bring in the 3 diver is hold the rod tip up high and move to the center of the boat without getting slack in your line wait a minute for the diver to go up and over your 1 diver, now reel your fish in.

make sure the left rod is set to the left and always set on the left.

to let the 3 diver out over the 1 diver move over as far as you can get to the other side without tangling it in the diver on that side. now with your clicker on on your reel start letting it out slow. if the back diver is out 135' let out 140' then lift the 3 rod up and over the back rod and place in the rod holder. the 3 diver should go up and over your 1 diver and settle in place. hold the rod tip slightly elevated letting the 3 diver out over the 1 diver. always let the 1 diver out 15' less than the 3 diver. then when you let the 3 diver out over the 1 diver go 5' or 10' past the 1 diver then take it up and over the 1 diver. be sure and let them out with the clicker on just loose enough the line pays out slow. hope all this helps you get started. it sounds like a lot to remember but once you do it a couple of times you'll have it. pm me if I can be of any help.

Thanks for the help everyone. My big mess was putting the wrong diver out the wrong side. Messed up the morning pretty bad. The right left thing got me good. I then watched very closely where it was going. Also learned to let out slowly. Thanks again.

and once you get all that straight, a good sized walleye takes the #3 down and through the #1. It just happens sometimes with bigger fish, they go where they want to. Maybe even learn how to use the other lines to their advantage.
    Rickerd

Bob, thank you for that very good explanation on the dipsys.

I think most of the tangles occur when setting the dipseys out.Especially if trying to put out a 3 setting with the 1 setting a ready in water.Any fish on that 1 setting and will most likely tangle.I'm watching that 1 setting as that 3 setting going out on clicker.If I see rod move on that 1 setting, I will stop the 3 setting going out and reel it in.Another area that could cause problem is that dipsey going through that prop wash.I try and get that dipsey deep enough initially to miss the strongest prop wash.
    The second area of potential tangles is when both rods out fishing and a fish is on a line without pulling the set lever.That fish will affect the position of the dipsey by its weight and movements.So keep an eye on the bend in rod and angle of the lines.If in doubt check em.

You all are a fountain of knowledge. I will reflect back on this many times. Thanks again.

Great input on this Thread! Thanks everyone! Have been running #1's for around 25 Years and there is a ton great info here, so thought I would add some other info for everyone's consideration;
    Definitely using the clicker for me and thumbing the spool, especially when setting the outside Dipsey over the inside one's. Setting out to fast will "wrap" the line around the release, which is not fun to retrieve later on, or entangle another Dipsey. Release tension: I carry a small stubby screw driver in my pocket to change release tension, I set them based on the days conditions. Try to have them as loose as possible, without tripping with nothing there, or to hard to release when you wrist snap to break the release. Use only one wrist snap, or rod pull to release the Dipsey, maybe two? Be super careful letting out a Dipsey while turning, watch the line and stay out of another Dipsey's path. If you have your "#1" Dipseys dialed in and catching, use the Dive curve chart, Trolling Bible or App to set the other setting Dipseys quickly to the fish zone, although alot of times active fish will be at different depths. The reverse is true also, set your Dipsys via the dive curve chart for the depth of the fish. Tangles happen: If two Dipseys get tangled, get both rods out of the water ASAP, not good to leave them twirling around, bad things will happen, time is of the essence!! Super Snarls and Cluster Flucks: A bad tangle, If you have spent more than 5 minutes trying to untangle, save the time and aggravation and get out your knife and retie, life is short! Although sometimes I like the challenge... So writing all of this (very fresh in my mind), I had my worst cluster in 4 years on Thursday, tired and sore (surgery complication) set out the 3.5 on a starboard turn, too quick on the port side, did not notice it right away, it tangled in the 1.5. Other crew were busy, captain was busy, so had to get the tangled rods/Dipseys out by myself, which took to long. Did not wait the 5 minutes once they were in, out came my knife. Best of all, my fishing "friends" were kind enough to save the cut cluster/snarl and display it at beer thirty back at camp for all to behold.

Sounds a lot like the tangle I had. Took me a half hour back at camp to get mine out. Had a dipsy two worm harnesses and 2 leaders to cut out. Was quite a mess. I didn't have an extra dipsy to use that day but I did learn to make extra leaders to have on hand. I'll maybe have 1 more walleye trip to try what I've learned here before I start perch fishing. I will have to put to use the perch techniques that I learned from last year from everyone. This is a great forum.

I tie my leaders with 20# Seaguar flourocarbon at 7ft with a swivel and a snap.I make sure I have at least 6 leaders or 2 extra ones available to use.The flourocarbon is pretty stiff and you have a good chance untangling that flourocarbon if you tangle the leader.Now if the braid line tangles don't waste much time,cut and retie.If two lines tangle,bring in both rods together and you may luck out and just have to just move one line under another.But bringing them in together does lessen the tangle some.And watch those other lines,those fish seam to have an uncanny ability to bite when you are busy doing something else.