Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dipsy Diver setting's

I'm still learning how to run dipsy divers. I kept getting tangled with the two poles together on one side. Does the 3 setting make the diver go out or back farther. I learned back farther but when you reel the 3 setting in how do you not get tangled with the 1 setting.

Default Re: Dipsy Diver setting's

The 3 setting makes the diver swing out farther but not as deep. I keep my inside rod diver at the lowest setting and move the outside rod divers to the highest. Etc.

So when you reel your 3 setting in it won't interfere with your 1 setting. I'll give that a try.

When you trip the diver such as when you have a fish on, it will swing back to the center. This is why I rarely use the zero setting because it will be straight back. I Generally use the 1 setting on the closest rod. Of course it depends on how big your landing area on your boat is. Mine is not very big.

So if the trip on the out side swings back in how does it not tangle with your inside pole

We run our #1 size dipseys with rings usually at a 1 and 3 setting.Some rules you need to follow to prevent them from tangling.I firmly believe a snubbed on them helps them from spinning when setting them out.And use the clicker when putting them out too.
    Weigh your dipseys and the heaviest ones go on inside dipsey or 1 setting.That is because if heavier dipsey on outside,the dipsey sinks when slowing down or turning and can tangle with inside dipsey.
    The 3 setting needs to have a longer lead than the inside 1 setting just like running inline boards.The 3 setting goes in rod holder further forward toward bow and the 1 setting behind it.
    The three setting goes out further away from boat and forward of the 1 setting.When setting them out always put out the #3 first,but if you need to put out the 3 setting with the 1 setting running ,start on opposite side of boat and put it out slow enough that it goes over the line on 1setting.BUT....if there is a fish on the 1 setting you could get a tangle.
    If you are bringing the #3 setting in over the #1 than,when you pop the release,it will raise up and over your #1 setting.BUT..if there is a fish on #1 setting could get a tangle.
    We have our four dipsey rods identical and run hi vis yellow braid that's calibrated.Then adjust the rod holders so rod tips close together.That helps us tell if have a fish on any of the rods.A bigger bend or a different angle of line into water is a tipoff you may have fish on.The big advantage to dipseys is how quickly you can check and reset them.I am constantly checking them and adjusting screw tension on dipsey with screwdriver I keep in pocket.
    Dipsey move through water like a kite,they are not static but move around with changes of speed and current.That is one reason they catch so well.We caught most of our fish last season on worm burners,this season the double willow harnesses have caught the best.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    So if the trip on the out side swings back in how does it not tangle with your inside pole
    I do not set the first rod out as far so when the outside rod trips it will travel back beyond the distance of the first rod to the rear

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    I do not set the first rod out as far so when the outside rod trips it will travel back beyond the distance of the first rod to the rear.

That's a lot to take in. I'm going to be reading this over and over for days to fully understand it and I mean that in a good way. I had tangled line, twisting line pretty much all of the above. Fishing shouldn't be that hard. should do a instructional video Bob it would help a lot of people out. Thanks

What I mean to say is when you have a fish on the 3 setting what keeps the fish from tangling with your 1 setting as your bringing it in.