Johnson outboard bogs down Johnson outboard bogs down Johnson outboard bogs down Johnson outboard bogs down
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Johnson outboard bogs down

Got an old 89 60 hp Johnson vro that runs great for 4 or 5 trips and then out of no where bogs down like it's not getting gas if I give it throttle. Took me an hour and a half to get from Cedar point area to East harbor. I thought it might have been the fuel pump but put a new one in and it did the same thing. The oil sender was removed years ago so I pre mix the gas. Tried turning it off and priming the engine but bulb was soft and won't prime not sure if that's normal. Wake up the next day and bulb is hard and it will run like a charm 4 or more trips. Can't figure it out. Anybody got any thoughts besides buying a new boat. Just don't have the cash flow.
    Last edited by badboards; 07-20-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Default Re: Johnson outboard bogs down

Them engines have a diaphragm style fuel pump I believe. This would be on the engine side of the primer bulb. If the rubber diaphragm starts to degrade this can cause fuel deliver problems that act much like an air leak. Ethanol is rough on these types of things. Also it is very rough on a 2 stroke engine to run it while it is lean such as in the problem you are describing. Kent

I hated running it that far like that but at 6 miles per hour it runs fine when it's doing that. As for the fuel pump it's an after market pump and yes they do that but the new pump did the same thing. They don't make the OEM anymore.

Did you check the vent on your fuel tank and make sure it’s operating properly?

I haven't checked the vent but I did open the gas filler cap and it didn't change anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Got an old 89 60 hp Johnson vro that runs great for 4 or 5 trips and then out of no where bogs down like it's not getting gas if I give it throttle. Took me an hour and a half to get from Cedar point area to East harbor. I thought it might have been the fuel pump but put a new one in and it did the same thing. The oil sender was removed years ago so I pre mix the gas. Tried turning it off and priming the engine but bulb was soft and won't prime not sure if that's normal. Wake up the next day and bulb is hard and it will run like a charm 4 or more trips. Can't figure it out. Anybody got any thoughts besides buying a new boat. Just don't have the cash flow.
    Hello Badboards I wonder if you have a hose that is going bad from the inside and that is blocking the fuel the symptom of the bulb going soft till next morning then gets hard may be that its not able to pull any fuel out of tank or a pin hole in the line between the bulb and the tank will suck air and cause the pump to loose its prime , just a thought .

If you haven’t done so already, maybe just try a new primer bulb/hose assembly. The line connectors have orings also that can cause an air leak. Like having a crack in a straw.

It's on my list to try. I YouTubed that and it showed me the internals of the bulb. I probably will change the lines as well. Thanks for your reply.

filter in the tank,screen plugged up

Yes I believe you could be on to something there maybe it is a line going bad also I have a fuel filter before the engine that's clear not sure if this is normal or not but when I pump the bulb I see air bubbles in the filter. Not sure if that's normal.