Help? Help? Help? Help?

Thread: Help?

Blog Entries

Default Help?

Hey guys Michael here! I am very new to fishing but I have found it as a very fun path and activity. However I am looking for a rod just something simple but not a baitcaster if you guys have nay tips please let me know even if its just fishing in general thank you guys!

Default Re: Help?

I like the StCroix Mojo rods. They are around $100.. so not terrible yet they are very good. I have several for casting and drop shotting. I like the Mojo Bass 7 ft. medium action spinning rods. Combine it with a Plueger President spinning reel $50.00-60.00 and you will have a good all purpose spinning outfit.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 07-12-2021 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

I agree I like the 6'8 Mojo One piece for jigging, medium with extra fast or fast fast tip. For casting I like my Axid X medium light with fast tip. I don't get to worried about reels because really all you need them to do is reel
    and let drag out. spend your money on good rod.

I would disagree with previous. Spend money on good reel with good drag. YOu can get good Ugly Stik rods for jigging, casting, and even small boards on my 6'6 inch Medium action 6-14# rated Ugly stix for $50. President reel is very good also. That was the last setup I bought. Three years ago I bought the rod for $50 and the reel onsale end of season for $35 at Fin Feather Fur in Middleburg Hts.

Rickerd

I agree with the Ugly Sticks. Been using AND abusing them for 40 years. As for the reels I use a fairly cheap Shimono Syncopate mainly because I love the finger trigger. Most manufacturers quit making the triggers for some reason. I keep 4 of these still unopened at all times just in case they quit making them. $29.99 on Sale. Total cost of setup, $70.

Can’t go wrong with a Pflueger President reel. I match mine with a 7’ St. Croix medium fast action. Great all around walleye rod. Jigging, casting worm harness’, and even throwing big stick baits from the piers in the spring and fall. One rod and reel combo does them all.

Quote Originally Posted by yrick82 View Post
    Can’t go wrong with a Pflueger President reel. I match mine with a 7’ St. Croix medium fast action. Great all around walleye rod. Jigging, casting worm harness’, and even throwing big stick baits from the piers in the spring and fall. One rod and reel combo does them all.
    I have several St croix medium 6-6 fast action rods with Shimano Sahara reels. I use 6# braid These are used to Jig & cast harnesses & on occasion cast crank baits over the reefs. As you grow into this wonderful hobby you can move up to G Loomis rods & Shimano Stratic reels. I have a few of these as well

Blog Entries

Love my st croix rods and ugly stick and from the other posts I'm not alone. Go ahead and invest in this sport buy quality gear and you will love using it .

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Michael,

What's important is you understand why there are different kinds of rods (poles) and reels. The basic idea in rods (the rod part is called a "blank") is they are more or less flexible or "stiff" and also where that flexibility changes in the rod. Different types of fishing and fish species require different rod flexibility for maximum success. What's more important when someone recommends a rod is why that rod over others? What characteristics does it have the make it better for Lake Erie walleye? That's the question. Are you casting (drift fishing) or trolling? Do you use the rod for other fishing or just Lake Erie walleye? You can read up on the types of rods and what types of fishing they are best for online (one example below). Then you can make sense of what others tell you and why they use what they use. The type of guides (the "rings" attached to the blank the line goes through) and their spacing is also a factor. The rod info is printed right on the rod, usually just above the handle.

So the question is: what rod type is best for drift fishing and for trolling, and why? Let's see what folks on this thread say.

A Guide to Selecting the Right Rod

all you need for trolling is a flexible glass rod like an 8' med/light wilderness trolling rod at around 20.00.
    for drifting I still prefer a simple rod with more action and a little better sensitivity. the ugly stick gx2 med action 4 to 20 lb line in the length that's best for you. neither rod requires a lot of sensitivity as they are usually in a rod holder or propped up against the side of the boat if drifting. but the gx2 has plenty of sensitivity for casting on the drift. now for casting baits then sensitivity comes into play and that's another story.