Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021 Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021 Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021 Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021

Default Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021

This was the first trip in about two weeks, because of reschedules, so I was really looking forward to getting back to work.

Two days ago, Capt Matt Wieland and I went out to prefish for his and Capt Jenn's trip that they had the next day. We went to a spot, that another Capt gave us to look at, so I am not at liberty to say where. It was shallow water bite... that's all I can say. We caught our two person limit in about two hours on short leads (18 to 25 back on Blue/Chrome and Golden Perch Spro 120s did best). The walleye and the sheephead got donated to the "Back to the Wild" wildlife rehabilitation center, for the Eagles, critters, and other birds of prey that they have there.

This morning, I was up at 2:30 and out the door by 4:10, so I could go gas up and get some ice for the coolers. I was meeting my crew at 5:15, so we could be on the water by 5:30. I was early, so I could change up some baits from my trip out with Matt, an get some other things ready before they showed up. I like that bit of quiet and calm before the morning starts, and the day gets busy.
    They were right on time, and that always makes me happy! We were off to a good start.

Clint set this trip up for his wife Molly, who is fighting Cancer right now. Katie, Molly's sister, introduced herself and explained that Molly had wanted a fishing trip on Lake Erie as part of her "Bucket List". I was honored to have gotten the call. Molly did a great job today reeling in her fish with the help of family members, as did the rest of the family. Jude, Clint and Molly's 11 year old son, had never fished before, and said, "I didn't think I was going to like this, but I do."

Katie had the magic touch this morning, because every fish she brought in was a nice fish. The size today was 16 to 25 inches. Most were in the 20-23" range, though. A "Perfect Eater" in my book.

We ran 4 Off Shore boards on each side of the boat. On the starboard side, we ran 4 Spro Madeye 120s.
    Colors were:
    Golden Perch at 25 back
    Chrome/Blue at 18 back
    Chrome/Blue at 18 back
    Pink Lemonade at 18 back
    (They all caught fish)

On the port side we ran (2) Spro Diver 85s (I just call them "Baby Spros"), one Flicker Minnow 11, and one Bandit.
    Golden Perch Baby Spro at 35 back
    Purple Glass Perch Baby Spro at 25 back (hot bait today, but I only had one).
    Chrome/Purple/Red Flicker Minnow 11 at 20 back
    Pooh Bear Bandit (purple body/chart head) at 18 back
    (These all caught fish)

Speed was 2.1-2.3mph Water temp was 75 degrees Air temp: hot/humid light SW wind 5-10mph.

I was watching the radar app to see if there was any lightning in the pop-up showers headed our way. It was a beautiful morning weather wise, but a system was moving in. We had a 3-person limit in the cooler, when the bite shut off, and Jude was hungry, so we headed in 20 minutes early, to try and beat the rain.
    It was just starting to spit a light rain when we hit the launch, so the timing was pretty good.

I told Clint about "Cutcher's Fish Cleaning" over in Oak Harbor, and he liked that idea. They were going to go eat at "Jolly Roger's" first, and then head over there.

It was a fun morning, and I hope Molly had a good experience, and will be able to check off every box on that bucket list!

Oh, I almost forgot, Clint caught the first Smallie to be brought into my boat this season too! That was a nice bonus fish today.

I am off tomorrow, and will be making a call on Friday's trip, on Friday morning. Steve Miles has the same area code as me, so he must live around here. I will look at the forecast that morning and make a determination then, if our trip is a go, or not.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021-clint-molly-jude-katie-6-30-20212-jpg Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021-clint-molly-jude-katie-6-30-20213-jpg Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021-clint-molly-jude-katie-6-30-20215-jpg Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021-clint-molly-jude-katie-6-30-20211-jpg Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021-clint-molly-jude-katie-6-30-20216-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Re: Fishing with the Mathewson Family 6/30/2021

Just curious, are you running weights on those short leads or unassisted?

Quote Originally Posted by dunn782 View Post
    Just curious, are you running weights on those short leads or unassisted?
    I would have said I had weights on them if I had been running weights. I don't leave important info like that out of my reports.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Capt. Juls,

Wonderful post! So glad you were able to check this off Molly's bucket list. The family is from my home town and my kids went to school with them.