Where are the walleye Where are the walleye Where are the walleye Where are the walleye
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Where are the walleye

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    I'm new to dipsy divers and only have two. I had the two dipsies set on #3 setting with harnesses. I'm learning how to detect fish on. The shorts are on and couldn't tell and at times the bigger fish pulled but thought it was the dipsies. The other two poles had bandit's on with a one once sinker but got nothing. I will troll with harnesses on them next time with a drop sinker.
    go to lite bite slide divers and take the guesswork out of the short fish. don't use the slide part of the diver. tie an o ring to one end of a 6'n leader then lace the line through the back. set the rod tension tight enough your not getting false releases. then set lure tension loose enough that it'll trip on white perch but doesn't give false releases.

I like the slide aspect of it. You can get the fish closer to the boat to net it. It takes that long leader out of play. Little pricey. How deep will it dive without the ring. Looks like that is sold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    I like the slide aspect of it. You can get the fish closer to the boat to net it. It takes that long leader out of play. Little pricey. How deep will it dive without the ring. Looks like that is sold separately.
    with the small ring it's close to a dipsy. but without the ring, I don't have a clue. but there is always a way to know the dive curve and get very close. with 80# test power pro at 1.8 to 2.0 with the diver set on 3 i went to 50' of water and slowly let out line until I started bumping bottom. took 185' to hit bottom. i divided 185' by 10' which gave me 18.5 then I divided 50' by 18.5 which gave me 2.7 which is my dive curve. now I just run the middle line 10' or 15' shorter than the front diver and the back diver 10' to 15' behind the middle diver. say I want to run 65' deep, I just divide 65 by 2.7 and I get 240' of line out and I'm bumping bottom then run my middle diver set on 2 at 225' and the back one set on 1 back 210. you can do the same thing with yours.

Slide divers without the ring are on the precision trolling app now FYI. While I’m here, I’ll throw in my two cents which is to use the slide feature for two reasons. 1) Netting fish on short leader and 2) Having ability to have longer leader in clearer water. The only downside I’ve seen to the short leader after being tripped is a steelhead will bring the whole rig out of the water when they jump (and get away)

Most guys use the #1 dipsey and there is a dive chart that comes with every dipsey you buy.They work best when you can run 2 on one side of boat.Using identical rods,you can see any difference in the curve of the rod or the angle of your line into the water.That way you can tell if a smaller fish is on the line,even if the dipsey didnt release.The line most guys use is Hi Vis Yellow power pro braid @ 30#.

That's good advice. Water conditions can come into play as well. Calm versus two footers or more I would assume. My boat was rocking the day I used it the first time. I had a pretty good fish on and didn't know it. 19 inches maybe. It's all a learning lesson.