Makeshift leader material Makeshift leader material Makeshift leader material Makeshift leader material

Default Makeshift leader material

I had bought a pair of new line counter reels, and when I was spooling them up up Sat night I realized I was out of Segur line I had used for leader material. I thought someone had mentioned on the forum that they did not use leader material and just directly tied spoons and stickbaits with a snap to the lure. I tried to look up this topic on the forum, but I could not locate it.
    I had some red Cajan line that I think was used years ago for leader material, and I had a spool of 10lb Power Pro. I used the Power Pro for leaders. Is this acceptable or should I go buy more Segur or another brand for the clear leader material?

Default Re: Makeshift leader material

Yes,you do not need a leader.Especially if you are spooling your reels with mono.I tie a snap directly to my mono for using my cranks.I do tie my leaders and harnesses with 20# seaguar flourocarbon.The leaders go on my dipseys and snap on a crank,worm burner or spoon to the leader.

Default Re: Makeshift leader material

if I'm trolling for walleye I always use a seaguar fluro 20# 6' to7' leader. I like using a leader anytime I fish for eyes except when night fishing. it may not help but a leader only costs a few cents for a lot more confidence and just maybe a few more fish. i never use a leader for bass and gills even though it might help with bass. so I say use a fluro leader you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.