Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)

Just read that a little bit ago. I do know those biting flies your talking about. They chewed my wife's ankles up a couple weeks ago.

Sorry, I haven't been out since last Thursday. Had blow day reschedules on Friday and Saturday and was scheduled off on Sunday and yesterday. Today, my guys wanted to reschedule for better conditions, so I won't be back out until tomorrow.

As for the flies...I find they do not like Copper Tone's SPF 50 sunscreen (spray is better than the lotion), and will not bite once I put it on. Others have used a spray bottle with a mixture of water and Dawn Dish Soap, but I don't like that sticky feeling on my skin, so I don't use that.

Horse sprays work too, but again, I don't like to get that stuff on the carpet in my boat.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

1/3 Avon skin so soft mixed with apple cider vinegar 2/3rds does the trick on those flies, I go 1/2 and 1/2

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't have CT sunscreen but I do have another brand I'll try. We will cover up. It's looking like a nice day, 1 foot or less. Gonna troll bandit's and dipsy divers with spoons. Cedar point dumping area to east of Kelly's. I'll send a report tomorrow.

I remember awhile back people use to say Avon skin so soft repelled mosquitoes. Don't recall if I ever had luck using it. I will definitely try it out though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    1/3 Avon skin so soft mixed with apple cider vinegar 2/3rds does the trick on those flies, I go 1/2 and 1/2

We were also out on Sunday morning NE of Kelly's on the line and then moved E. of Kelly's. 1 farm animal was all we managed in 4 hrs.

We tried harnesses, spoons and deep divers.

Was there a Mayfly hatch. Not sure if that would slow the walleye bite down or not.

We also fished Fathers Day morning.We were east of you Mike.Was a slow pick for us, but did manage to catch 12 keepers from 16-23" for 3 guys trolling for 5hrs. We also caught around 30 shorts and 15 white perch/bass.The dipsey on a 3 setting from 45-60 caught the most fish with double willow harnesses on them.Had an antifreeze color on one side and purple with pink back on other side.Had worm burners on dipsey with one setting that caught a few at 35-50.On our inline boards caught 3 keepers on 3 different color bandits at a 40,60 and 100 leads.So no pattern with our cranks.Speed was around 2.2mph.The flys were bad too,so kept my pants on even though it was pretty hot.If you are using dipseys,and initially trying to find depth fish are biting,set both dipseys at around the depth you think fish will bite.I like moving them at multiples of 5.So start the dipseys on 3 setting at 50 and 55.After 20min of no hits,move the 55 down to 60 and the 50 up to 45.Every 20min of no hits move one up 5 and one down 5.That helps you find the depth the fish are biting.

Biting flies ?? Use Vicks vapor rub!!

Good tip on moving the dipsy divers up and down. I did that but not as systematically as you suggest. I was alone so I only had two dipsy running and one board. Do not want to tempt fate and have too many lines in the water. I did not have crawlers but that may have helped. I usually get bites on the crawler harnesses but more junk fish and smaller walleyes. I also was pulling a bit slower. More like 1.8 to 2.0
    Appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    We also fished Fathers Day morning.We were east of you Mike.Was a slow pick for us, but did manage to catch 12 keepers from 16-23" for 3 guys trolling for 5hrs. We also caught around 30 shorts and 15 white perch/bass.The dipsey on a 3 setting from 45-60 caught the most fish with double willow harnesses on them.Had an antifreeze color on one side and purple with pink back on other side.Had worm burners on dipsey with one setting that caught a few at 35-50.On our inline boards caught 3 keepers on 3 different color bandits at a 40,60 and 100 leads.So no pattern with our cranks.Speed was around 2.2mph.The flys were bad too,so kept my pants on even though it was pretty hot.If you are using dipseys,and initially trying to find depth fish are biting,set both dipseys at around the depth you think fish will bite.I like moving them at multiples of 5.So start the dipseys on 3 setting at 50 and 55.After 20min of no hits,move the 55 down to 60 and the 50 up to 45.Every 20min of no hits move one up 5 and one down 5.That helps you find the depth the fish are biting.