Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)

Sunday 6/20 I decided to head out on a whim. Left the dock about 8am in Huron. Went out to the dumping grounds and seen some fair marks. Set up two dispy divers with a spoon and shallow bandit. Set up a hot n tot on an inline board. trolled NE with the wind around 2MPH SOG. No bites. Changed the shallow bandit on the dipsy to another spoon. Changed the hot n tot to a mag 44. Eventually changed to a few different deep bandits. Tried various depths. Got out to about 45FOW before turning and heading back S to SW into the wind. Similar speed. Only thing that got bit was me! The stable flys were horrendous. Eventually drove me off the lake since I failed to have insect repellant with me. Was only out for a maybe 3 hours but failed to catch anything. Only 4th time out this year but i didnt even catch a sheephead or white bass.
    Water clarity seemed really clear. I could see the dipsy about 8 to 10' down. Not sure what I was doing wrong or if the fish were simply not there and not active. Ultimately the flies made me leave and not try another area.

Was I just in the wrong area or were the fish just turned off Sunday morning? I have been reading and trying to learn everything I can but not having great results. My best day this year was drifting using crawlers and I brought home 2 walleye and a perch about a month ago.

Default Re: Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)

i wish i could help,i was over there out of little teds by marblehead memorial day week did very good on jets and spoons.going back this thursday for a long weekend,bringing my wife sister and brother inlaw.fishing same area.not totaly sure where im starting but probably going north and east on kelly island ,little deeper water there.i seen over 650 people read your post and not one reply,sad.but i did see that if you want to sign up for secret text on this site that they will tell you where they are catching fish.the only one posting anything is porkchop express and i thank him for that.i never thought that it would get like deer hunting spots for walleye.the dnr said there are 160 million legal walleye in lake erie.10000 people could catch their limit for 90 days in a row and thats only 540000. walleye little over half million. that only leaves 159.5 million left for everyone else .sorry for the rant but is sad its like that.

Don’t feel bad, went out of mazuriks Sunday early, went all the way north and east of Kelly’s till it was close to the border, and it sucked. Caught several farm animals, a nice small mouth, a big catfish and several white bass, no walleye. Not even a throw back. Trolled all around Kelly’s and nothing. The only thing we saw was the coast guard checking boats on the water, and at the docks. But a beautiful day on the lake..

Capt Juls post frequently too. I enjoy hers and Capt Sam's post. They both say what program they were running and about where they were at. Next trip out I am going to head West. I want to try a few different things but like i said, the flies were quite vicious. No fun where you are getting bit on the legs every minute. Better planning on my part for that next time ! Sometimes the fish are there and active and some times not. Have to find the active schools I suppose. Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by bushman111 View Post
    i wish i could help,i was over there out of little teds by marblehead memorial day week did very good on jets and spoons.going back this thursday for a long weekend,bringing my wife sister and brother inlaw.fishing same area.not totaly sure where im starting but probably going north and east on kelly island ,little deeper water there.i seen over 650 people read your post and not one reply,sad.but i did see that if you want to sign up for secret text on this site that they will tell you where they are catching fish.the only one posting anything is porkchop express and i thank him for that.i never thought that it would get like deer hunting spots for walleye.the dnr said there are 160 million legal walleye in lake erie.10000 people could catch their limit for 90 days in a row and thats only 540000. walleye little over half million. that only leaves 159.5 million left for everyone else .sorry for the rant but is sad its like that.

Maybe it was just the weather and walleye not active except in small schools. Next trip I hope to move around and test a few areas and methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnn View Post
    Don’t feel bad, went out of mazuriks Sunday early, went all the way north and east of Kelly’s till it was close to the border, and it sucked. Caught several farm animals, a nice small mouth, a big catfish and several white bass, no walleye. Not even a throw back. Trolled all around Kelly’s and nothing. The only thing we saw was the coast guard checking boats on the water, and at the docks. But a beautiful day on the lake..

i apolgize ,captain juls post a very detailed awsome report.i will be there thursday afternoon and i will try to give all the info i have.maybe if more people shared info the packs of boats would be smaller,when nobody knows where to go they just head for the pack and join in.

Are you referring to the mayflies. If so wouldn't that slow the bite down.

thanks for the heads up on the fly bite,they can be brutal even when the walleye are hitting good.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_OMZIG View Post
    Sunday 6/20 I decided to head out on a whim. Left the dock about 8am in Huron. Went out to the dumping grounds and seen some fair marks. Set up two dispy divers with a spoon and shallow bandit. Set up a hot n tot on an inline board. trolled NE with the wind around 2MPH SOG. No bites. Changed the shallow bandit on the dipsy to another spoon. Changed the hot n tot to a mag 44. Eventually changed to a few different deep bandits. Tried various depths. Got out to about 45FOW before turning and heading back S to SW into the wind. Similar speed. Only thing that got bit was me! The stable flys were horrendous. Eventually drove me off the lake since I failed to have insect repellant with me. Was only out for a maybe 3 hours but failed to catch anything. Only 4th time out this year but i didnt even catch a sheephead or white bass.
    Water clarity seemed really clear. I could see the dipsy about 8 to 10' down. Not sure what I was doing wrong or if the fish were simply not there and not active. Ultimately the flies made me leave and not try another area.

Was I just in the wrong area or were the fish just turned off Sunday morning? I have been reading and trying to learn everything I can but not having great results. My best day this year was drifting using crawlers and I brought home 2 walleye and a perch about a month ago.
    Your not alone. I did everything possible on Sunday. Ran harnesses, bandits, flickers and spoons. All different colors, depths, speeds and directions. Dipsys, jets and boards. Caught 3 keepers and a bunch of sheep’s. Ran from west sisters to north side of Kelly’s. Marked fish all day, just couldn’t get on an active school. Better luck next weekend!

Not Mayflies, they do not bite or sting. These little flies called stable flies do bite.

Here is a link taking about them.
    Biting stable flies bug boaters: What are they, and what can you do? - cleveland.com

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Are you referring to the mayflies. If so wouldn't that slow the bite down.