Casters Casters Casters Casters
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casters

Default Re: Casters

We casted weapons for decades and they do sometimes come in a tangled mess.I believe the majority of the tangles occur when the rig hits the water and the barrel sinker sinks through the rig and creates some tangles.I tried to close the bail of my spinning reel right when rig was hitting the water and reeled in the slack.I kept some slight tension in the line by reeling slowly as the rig sank and i would count on the drop before i retrieved.That way,i prevented tangles and was able to feel a fish bite while it was sinking.Others would cast and keep slack all the way till they started reeling in and get more tangles and less fish than me.

!
    Last edited by 45wheeler; 06-17-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: To Delete

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bordy View Post
    The Cans are marked on most navigation charts and on the Navionics chips. They mark the Camp Perry firing range. A is the top NW corner with B and C in line to the east. C is the NE corner (near Niagara reef) and then the line goes southeast thru D, E, and F. F is the SE corner and the line goes SW through Area 1 that is off limits all the time. K and L round out the range from Locust Point back to A in a NW line. I'm sure some readers know how to find the map on line.

From what I read, the casters are not letting their weight hit bottom, but giving it a count of 5 or 10 before starting the retrieve. Weight depends on wind/waves and depth. I normally use 1/2 or 3/4 oz egg sinkers in the loop of my harness.

We'll be there all next week. Hope this helps,
    Bordy
    I like this thread "Casters" will try to keep it going with my 2 cents worth of info . I am Looking forward to fishing this weekend Thursday eve through Saturday eve I will post info as soon as were catching fish in real time so if your out PM me I will be on the radio channel 68 call sign MBLMIKE boat BCNU 27 foot Sportcraft white blue top out of Meinke west .

Early morning or when you have a good chop or cloud cover I tend to fish in the 5-10 count range. As the sun comes up and or wind dies down I generally have better luck closer to the bottom. I often stop my retrieve 3-4 times on the way in for just a few seconds. Many times fish will hit on the drop. Also if you miss a hit I give the lure a drop back to trigger a second strike.

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    Early morning or when you have a good chop or cloud cover I tend to fish in the 5-10 count range. As the sun comes up and or wind dies down I generally have better luck closer to the bottom. I often stop my retrieve 3-4 times on the way in for just a few seconds. Many times fish will hit on the drop. Also if you miss a hit I give the lure a drop back to trigger a second strike.
    As far as keeping the tangles to a minimum. Right as the lure is just about to hit the water I grab the line for just a split second with my finger. This straightens the weapon out and allows it to fall without tangling. I then let it fall to my desired depth before closing the bail. I also will rip the line off the pole by pulling the pole back. This allows the lure to fall more straight down vs coming back to you. I believe this keeps bait in strike zone little longer

So what is the low down for this weekend, I figure on trying C first if noting then I guess I will prolly head East toward Gull or Cedar point. Anybody heard anything on West Sister this week ?

Capt. Andy

Fished north, northwest of Kelly’s this morning right on the line. South to north drift starting a half mile from the border. One fish from 6am till 930. Then found a spot at 930 and made several drifts over it and ended up with 7. All were around 24”. Tried to fish higher in the water column early with no luck using eerie Deerie. Tried all sorts of counts and used the swing and nothing. Then tried Erie deerie on the bottom and began to catch fish....or maybe we just found the right spot. Long line off back drifting was the only way with the rod in the holder. Take it out of holder and yank it every few minutes. Caught 2 or 3 on the yank. Bottom bouncer with a harness usually catches fish. None this time. Only the Erie Deerie.

Thank you. nfreund

Need to correct my report....Meant north east of Kelly’s. Hundreds if not more boats in the area.

After the big wind at the end of May all of the bait fish were pushed to south shore of Lake. Find south shore coves and bays to find the eyes.