Casters Casters Casters Casters
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Casters

Default Re: Casters

Went about a mile and a half NE of C-can. Drifted toward due north of C on the first pass. Then the wind died.

Quote Originally Posted by hhill3 View Post
    Went about a mile and a half NE of C-can. Drifted toward due north of C on the first pass. Then the wind died.
    Went out on head boat Friday 6/11 and did good. Small gold single hook harness, 5 to 10 count. Half a worm on it. We were west of the islands not to far from the border. I`m not a big facebook person either, but the few fishing groups I`m in gives me some valuable info. Especially the Erie Casters page. There`s a group that can help you target whatever fishing your into.

I also was North of C can and got 2 limits on gold erie dearies and purple, also went east of west sister by the net stakes and managed a few.

Capt. Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Slawdog81 View Post
    I also was North of C can and got 2 limits on gold erie dearies and purple, also went east of west sister by the net stakes and managed a few.

Capt. Andy
    I am New to the site however been fishing the Western basin for over 30 years. I’m 56. I only cast. I get in about 12 weekends a year. This past weekend was one. I left dock Friday at 545. Stopped west of west sister on some marks & started to fish. About 50 charters went by me to fish farther north. About 45 minutes later there must have been 75 charters casting in the area. I only had 3. We moved east towards light house & out of the traffic & finished our limit. Saturday started between A can & island & pulled 16 in 4 hours. Red beads smaller gold blades at a 2-3 count.

Some good casting reports!! I hate fishing the crowd also. I seem to have more consistent luck when I'm outside and away from the pack. I have to believe that the fish scatter as the pressure builds when the boats add up.

Thanks for the information and post. I was out on Monday, also 56 and fish for walleye in April, May and June. I was casting worm harnesses and had no luck. Went out of Port Clinton and fished around Green Island. Was marking fishing but I wasn't sure on the weight and was using tiger color harnesses. I mostly fish for smallmouth and largemouth but I am learning more and more about walleye casting/drifting. The "cans", how do you learn what can is A. B, C etc ? What size weight do you use and do you let it hit bottom? Thanks for the help, great info. I will have this down by 2024! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks for the information and post. I was out on Monday, also 56 and fish for walleye in April, May and June. I was casting worm harnesses and had no luck. Went out of Port Clinton and fished around Green Island. Was marking fishing but I wasn't sure on the weight and was using tiger color harnesses. I mostly fish for smallmouth and largemouth but I am learning more and more about walleye casting/drifting. The "cans", how do you learn what can is A. B, C etc ? What size weight do you use and do you let it hit bottom? Thanks for the help, great info. I will have this down by 2024! : )
    The Cans are marked on most navigation charts and on the Navionics chips. They mark the Camp Perry firing range. A is the top NW corner with B and C in line to the east. C is the NE corner (near Niagara reef) and then the line goes southeast thru D, E, and F. F is the SE corner and the line goes SW through Area 1 that is off limits all the time. K and L round out the range from Locust Point back to A in a NW line. I'm sure some readers know how to find the map on line.

From what I read, the casters are not letting their weight hit bottom, but giving it a count of 5 or 10 before starting the retrieve. Weight depends on wind/waves and depth. I normally use 1/2 or 3/4 oz egg sinkers in the loop of my harness.

We'll be there all next week. Hope this helps,
    Bordy

Thank you Bordy - big help! Will attempt to go up again later this month for a day.

This helps - will purchase a better map. Thank you

Dave

Yes, there are a lot of die hard casters and drifters here. I've been one since 1975, out of West Harbor all the years!
    Last edited by 45wheeler; 06-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.

When casting weapons what is the trick to keep line from twisting up around the spinner