Weird Bite Weird Bite Weird Bite Weird Bite

Thread: Weird Bite

Default Weird Bite

Fished Sun, Mon, Tues this week. Everything different from past years. Coming out of Lakeside, I couldn't get anything going SE of Kellys or E of Kellys.
    I did find some baitfish and walleye loosely scattered N of Kellys Island Shoal and over to Gull Island, all within 1/2 mile of the Canadian boarder. Nice quality fish I might add. No surprise they wanted bandits early (fished at around 15 feet depth) then spoons on Dipseys later as the sun got high in the sky, 35-40 ft depth. Nothing would touch the all time classic blue chrome bandit but got bit on a wild electric green and pink bandit. No sale on my "go-to" purple spoon either. Got bit on another wild hot-green and orange salmon spoon. In one case literally dragging a spoon on the bottom in 35-40 feet. Bite was slow but I got enough to bring home 5 meals for the family. My guess is the after-effects of the big blow scattered the baitfish schools so the walleye scattered too. I'd be interested in anybody elses' opinion about what is going on.
    CaptKen
    "Lucky Luna" Channel 68
    SeaRay Amberjack 290
    Twin Mag 350s/v-drives
    Simrad NSX 12
    Simrad AP44 Autopilot
    FishHawk X2

Default Re: Weird Bite

Thanks for the report. I've not been out since before the big blow a couple weeks ago so can't really add much but I will be out with a group starting on Friday morning if anyone wants to work together. I'm in the Marblehead area. Was thinking of looking east to start but just not sure.

Ken I think you are spot on. I was out Sunday working small groups of fish a half mile west of Rattlesnake and we could not get any walleye on Bandits, Reef Runner 800s, or spoons on Tru Trips. There was another guy I talked to who was in the same area, and he used crawlers on harnesses and he caught his fish plus several shorts.

We have done well the last 3 trips using double willow worm harnesses.First two trips antifreeze blades worked best but last trip out they wanted purple with pink back blades.Have not tried any colorado blades yet though.Tried spoons,spoon harnesses and jointed flicker shad with little success so far.Those 2015 fish which we are catching did not prefer the harnesses the last 3yrs,but they are biting on them well this year so far.Bandits have also caught well for us this season.Our Blu chrome bandit caught a few fish last weekend for us.

What speed were you running your crawler harnesses. Did they work better early or mid day and later? Was out of Monroe yesterday and we only got 1 keeper and a bunch of shorts.

Been running 2.0mph lately.Last weekend fished from 1-6pm Friday and 730-1130 am Saturday.Caught them through both time frames with harnesses.