Advice is welcome Advice is welcome Advice is welcome Advice is welcome

Default Advice is welcome

I just spent 2 days out around Huron and then to Kelley’s. We used bandits mostly and also tried the old Erie Dearie which did well in my youth 30 yrs ago. We marked fish all over in the 20’ to 25’ range. And didn’t get a single bite either day. My guess is we fished too late in the day. Saturday we got out in the early afternoon and fished til about 5:00. Sunday we went from 10:00 am to around 3:00 pm. I didn’t see anyone having any success but I’m new to the boat and new to trolling with dipsies so it could be “user error”. So I’d love sage wisdom from those of you who consistently have success. How far back are you running your dipsies? What trolling speed is working for you. Are bandits the real deal? Or are you having luck with spoons or worm harnesses? Thanks!!

Default Re: Advice is welcome

Fish high in the spring. Get boards YouTube it and go nuts.

heard harnesses are doing good now bandits 40 50 65 back also heard

I would be running my dipsies 70' 60' 50' but I'd be willing to adjust if not getting fish. I would try harnesses at 1.8 to 2.0 if I mix spoons in I'd run 2.0 to 2.2. all spoons I'd run 2.5 to 3.0 until I hit the magic number. if your marking walleye, they should have the feed bag on. you just have to find them with your lures at the proper speed and lure and you should catch fish. if you have downriggers run them with shallow bandits in sunspot or chrome blue back chrome belly with a 25' lead. spoons and harnesses start at 18' down then adjust if needed. shallow cranks start at 15' down. cranks if tuned will run at 1.8 or 3.0 without any trouble.

Sounds if you are just beginning and/or a casual fisherman.If really serious about becoming a better fisherman casting or trolling,a lot of good info on this website.Read everything and pick out what is relevant to what you want to do.Another good site is Ohio Game and Fish to learn from.Find someone that knows what they are doing and have them join you,or go with them.Better yet,hire a charter that fishes the area you want to fish and the type of fishing you want to do.Charter a casting or trolling charter.If you want to learn how to run inline boards on the boat you trailer,go with a charter that runs those inline boards.You want to learn how to catch fish.Not reel in fish just to take home for dinner.

65, I agree with itsbob, I too fished the old school Erie tactics.
    One bit of advice, run different depths, colors, speed until you establish a pattern. I too was trolling deep, fish mornings at 45, 50 leads on boards.
    Ie: I could not catch a walleye in hot months of August, September.
    Booked a trip with Juls, explained my frustration, questions on dipsies, etc.
    Juls is a great teacher, firm, but you learn a lot about gear and tactics. I now consistently catch my limit, no matter the conditions. One of the best advice from Juls was boat control. If you think booking a charter is expensive, count the times you left the dock without walleye. Good luck, you are asking the right questions. I’m confident you will succeed.
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

dipsies just aren't the way to fish them right now. The fish are high and will continue until the water is mid 70s on surface during the day. Use boards with stickbaits, or jets with harnesses or spoons to stay above the fish you mark.

I will usually run one line deep all the time either a bottom bouncer on a board, or dipsy in clear water. Once you start catching more fish down there, run 2 or more lines low to catch those fish. But let the fish tell you what they want and where they want it.

Rickerd

That's great advice. Because I'm not sure yet what I'm using tomorrow. Seems like the reports are all over the place. I sure do like hearing from everyone what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by kmuth65 View Post
    I just spent 2 days out around Huron and then to Kelley’s. We used bandits mostly and also tried the old Erie Dearie which did well in my youth 30 yrs ago. We marked fish all over in the 20’ to 25’ range. And didn’t get a single bite either day. My guess is we fished too late in the day. Saturday we got out in the early afternoon and fished til about 5:00. Sunday we went from 10:00 am to around 3:00 pm. I didn’t see anyone having any success but I’m new to the boat and new to trolling with dipsies so it could be “user error”. So I’d love sage wisdom from those of you who consistently have success. How far back are you running your dipsies? What trolling speed is working for you. Are bandits the real deal? Or are you having luck with spoons or worm harnesses? Thanks!!
    I have had great success this time of year running worm harnesses in Glow and Fire Tiger off of lead core.
    Was trolling at 2.7 to get rid of the sliver bass and drums. We did very well.

We fished out of Point Bruce and were in 53 feet of water down 30 - 35 with lead core back (guess - 3 colors plus 50 feet of backing)

I design and make my own harnesses BUT any harness with glow and Fire Tiger should work. I have floats on mine with added eyes on spinner blade and tied in 8 strands of flash on the back hook.

Always use Dr. Juice or attractant on the bait or spoon.

Hope this produces for you

Tight lines

Eagles wings
    Attached Images Attached Images Advice is welcome-20210506_203842-1-jpg