Running stern planers properly Running stern planers properly Running stern planers properly Running stern planers properly

Default Running stern planers properly

I like to run a stern planer out the back sometimes, especially when I go solo. I have had limited success. I started to think, when the boat passes over those fish, I imagine they swim to the side. But could they swim deep too? That brings me to the question of where do I set those stickbaits? Do I set them deep if the fish go deep, do I set them high because when the fish swim back in from the side, they want to see if anything edible washed to the top?
    I know Capt Sam said he runs stern planers, but I dont remember anyone else talking about using them and how successful they are with those type of planers.
    Thanks
    Bruce

Default Re: Running stern planers properly

I always run 2 stern planer...i have alot of success with them..rods vertical to keep lines above water so they run true back from rod instead of centering behind boat..i run 200 to 250 behind boat to make sure they are running longer than my longest inline board and far enough for spooky fish ..longer planer is the shallower one about 6-10 feet down..other i like deeper and shorter 10-14 feet down..adjust from there but that way on turns they dont tangle and are staggered even if the planers get close to each other....i call them my clean up hitters because they complete the term fishing full circle to the sides and back and have been doing good with them
    Last edited by christian; 06-04-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: Running stern planers properly

Thank you for those tips!