amount of line amount of line amount of line amount of line
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amount of line

Default amount of line

When you troll crankbaits with more than two poles do you put out more line on the outside poles or the inside poles?

Default Re: amount of line

Short leads on the outside boards and longest on the inside… the plan is when the fish takes the outside board back you can pull it in past the inside board without it getting tangled… that’s the plan anyhow… lol

I recommend you buy Chip Gross' book "Trolling Big-Water Walleyes." It's simple and straight forward with concepts and gear recommendations to get started. It helped me tremendously when I started trolling. It will answer how you set up your boards and more.
    Last edited by FUBAR1; 05-24-2021 at 01:52 AM. Reason: I had more to say...
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

I think it makes less trouble to have longer lines outside and higher, then less line and deeper as you are closer to the boat when using small boards. I achieve this by using little or no weight on outside, then 2-3 oz weight on middle and 4-6 oz weight on inside board.

Rickerd

Blog Entries

"Trolling Big-Water Walleyes." Good book by Chip Gross, with lots of helpful diagrams and some pictures.

The #1 rule when trolling is longest leads on outside boards....period!!!! That way, when you bring an outside board over an inside board the lure on outside board is behind the lure of inside board.Then there are no tangles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Teasdale View Post
    When you troll crankbaits with more than two poles do you put out more line on the outside poles or the inside poles?
    Thank you for your wisdom!

Very interesting - two completely different methods. We have been running the longest lead on the outside. Also, if you have staggered rode holders, is it best to run the inside board from the rear holder and the outside board from the front or the other way around. We used to run the inside board from the front holder and the outside from the rear. But, we switched the order based on general recommendations and now we seem to be have a lot more tangles. Thinking about switching back to original program.

If you have a method of tripping your boards and letting the fish swing around to the stern before reeling it in, both methods can work. Trial and error will find what works for each person. I run my shallow lures on the outside.

The attached picture is credited to Chip Gross from his book "Trolling Big-Water Walleyes." It's available online.

amount of line-chip-gross-drawing-jpg
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR1 View Post
    If you have a method of tripping your boards and letting the fish swing around to the stern before reeling it in, both methods can work. Trial and error will find what works for each person. I run my shallow lures on the outside.

The attached picture is credited to Chip Gross from his book "Trolling Big-Water Walleyes." It's available online.

amount of line-chip-gross-drawing-jpg

So it appears from the book they run the shallowest lures on the outside, but it appears the longest leads are also on the outside. It is the lead length (amount of line out) that will end up causing tangles. Run the longest leads to the outside.