Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vacuum sealer for fish?

Anybody vacuum seal their catch? Any thoughts on a good one to purchase?

Default Re: Vacuum sealer for fish?

It’s the only way to keep your fish. Prevents freezer burn for up to a year. Clean fish as normal, rinse and let dry on paper towels so moisture doesn’t get ‘sucked’ out and prevent bag from sealing along the heat strip. Any average sealer is fine, no need to get expensive one. Mine is 8 yrs old from Gander Mtn. Use 11” wide bags that come in the bulk roll that you can cut to size. Saves tons of space in freezer over freezing filets in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggin Wagon View Post
    I have a Cabela's sealer however I never use it for fish. For years i just use Reg freezer bags. Just place the amount of filets you want in the bag fill the bag with water and freeze them. No freezer burn and they stay fresh for over a year. I have thawed bags where the filets were still pink. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggin Wagon View Post

I use the Cabelas 12” Pro Series. It’s around $100 and it works really well. I use it for venison and fish fillets. It works much better than the foodsaver brand I had before.

Been vacuum sealing my fish for 5+ hrs now.Used to seal in water in zip lock bag.Advantage is you save space and thaw faster.Think both ways,fish lasts a year or longer.I use a 12" GameSaver FoodSaver.Couple of tips I have learned a long the way.
    I double seal both ends of a 8" tube I use.Initially the seal would fail once in a while,but not if double sealed.Dampen the foam area of upper and lower oval shape section that creates the suction.That helps pulling air out.
    I zipper all my filets.After that I cut the upper dorsal and lower belly area in sections and stack them in sink by type.I then figure out how many bags I need based on amount of filets I have.I put around 1.25lbs per bag.I cut the tube bags 8.5" long and place the pieces in bag so no space left between pieces.Dorsal meat first,then belly meat,and last tail sections.If dorsal meat too thick,will cut that section in half to no thicker than 3/4".
    We then get it fried up at Jolly Rogers or cooked up at Crow's Nest.Blackened at Crow's Nest is awesome.

Thank you very much for the info...

Jolly Roger will cook your catch? I have heard that about Crows Nest.

Crow's nest will cook your catch too. I've never done it before but my buddy has. I usually clean and freeze my fish in zip lock bags. I eat it before it has a chance to go bad. 😊

Yes,jolly rogers will fry up your fish for you.Jolly rogers was supposed to move 300yrs west into the old Burger King.Have not been up there in a month so not sure if they have already moved or not.

Thanks, Bob. Good to know.