Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Vacuum sealer for fish?

I like to vac seal some, but I still do the majority in water.

The most significant benefit to vac seal is how fast it thaws. That's why I do some, it is a nice convenient option to have on hand. If I decide I want some fish, I can thaw it in warm water and be freezer to plate in less than 30 minutes.
    Whereas the ice cube of fish takes a couple hours planning. The other benefit is saving freezer space but I don't have much of an issue with that.

The most significant drawback is that is a moderate PIA to vac seal if you put up a lot of fish. Moisture is your enemy to sealing with home grade units. A few different ways to deal with that and all are an extra step in the process. If you don't get a good seal it needs to be eaten ASAP.

As far as the quality of the fish, with white fish like walleye it's simply not a factor.
    During freezer cleanup I've eaten 2-3 year old fish put up both ways and done properly both achieve the ultimate goal of protecting the fish from freezer burn.
    Last edited by elk yinzer; 05-09-2021 at 06:43 PM.

I'm sure that vac sealing works really well if done right. But, I've watched guys do this after a long day of fishing and it sure seems to take a lot of work and time - and the material seems expensive.. We just put the right amount of fish and water in quart ziplock bags and freeze. They will be fine for a year +. We do a lot of fish and I just don't see the need for vac sealing if storage space is not an issue. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by JERRYA View Post
    I'm sure that vac sealing works really well if done right. But, I've watched guys do this after a long day of fishing and it sure seems to take a lot of work and time - and the material seems expensive.. We just put the right amount of fish and water in quart ziplock bags and freeze. They will be fine for a year +. We do a lot of fish and I just don't see the need for vac sealing if storage space is not an issue. But to each their own.
    I am in the same boat as JERRYA !!! Takes too long to vac seal and freezer room in not a problem.

I have one of the autoclave style vacuum sealers ( Vac Master). You can seal anything even bags of water. I seal all of my fish in water. This style uses a very tough industrial type sealing bag. It draws a very strong vacuum. Of course it was pretty expensive in compairison to the foodsaver types. I had a couple of those. This one puts them in the dust. Oxygen is the killer which causes meat to turn rancid. Dehydration is what causes freezer burn. This prevents exposure to both and shelf life is increased many times.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 05-10-2021 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

ARY VacMaster VP215 Vacuum Sealer

It is awesome. Use it for deer, fish, everything. It is heavy and expensive.

I still take it on vacation to freeze fish and seafood.

I don't use water. The bags are very reasonable online. It will last forever.

I spent the $$$ and went for the vacuum chamber sealer. Got an off brand for around $500. never been happier. Don't get me wrong. The food saver has done me well for years. I've had two. The issue was wet stuff always messing with the sealing process. The vacuum chamber sealer seals the bag with a 1/4 inch seal line. Also my bags cost about .04 cents a piece. I'd go through a box of rolls of the food saver bags in a hurry packaging a deer. For a cool test I sealed a bag of water. Thing turns on, draws out all the air, seals the bag, then releases. The bag collapses down and the only thing left in the bag is water. It looks WAY cooler that it sounds. If the price gets to you, go in with a few friends. Honestly how many times a day can you use the thing. I sound like a darn sales person but they work That good.

$500 X 2 - Really? Compared to ziplock bags? How long would it take you to do 24 good sized walleyes? I'm sorry - I still just don't get this......We're talking about walleyes here - after a long day of fishing???

I had gone through two food savers. Doesn't take long at all.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I ended up buying the Weston Pro 2300. I usually fish with a good sized crew so generally there is another set of hands to help in the cleaning process. My freezer space is a bit limited. And I’ll probably use it fir some other types of meat. Got a lot of use out of my food saver before it broke. Hopefully the new one arrives before I head to the lake Thursday.

I have used a Food Saver for almost 20 years (not the same unit, upgraded a couple times). Used to go to Lake Michigan for salmon and still have fillets from 6 years ago that are almost as good as fresh. As mentioned, make sure there is no excess moisture on the fillets. I also double seal the bag. After sealing it once I wipe that seal with a napkin and then seal again 1/4 off the first seal, just to make sure. Never cared for freezing in water as it just takes up room.