Fuel tank leaking Fuel tank leaking Fuel tank leaking Fuel tank leaking

Default Fuel tank leaking

I bought a 89 V haul outboard last summer. Didn't know it had a leaky gas tank. It's an aluminum 16 gallon tank. It's only a drip. New tank cost about 350 or patch it with JB weld. The only way I found the leak is it killed the grass where it was stored in the yard. It probably lost about 3 gallons in 5 months. It's time consuming to pull this tank out. I'll probably do it at some point. Was wondering if anyone else has this going on. I know the risk not fixing it but should I be in a rush or worried. I want to be environmentally friendly so I will fix it at some point but does anyone else fish with a slow leak in there tank.

Default Re: Fuel tank leaking

Our great lake erie is one of the best attributes to living in Northern ohio.I would not want to have any gas leaking in the water I make my coffee with every day.So obviously costly but needs fixed.

In a few hours of fishing very little would escape. Plug is in so as long as I don't pump water out your safe.

Blog Entries

I would have to agree fixing as soon as possible avoid leaking into the lake or worse a fire . I just found a 12 gal plastic tank for $89 .00 on line so that could be a cheap fix for now and wait till winter to remove your aluminum tank for repair or just mount the plastic tank in place of the aluminum

Possible fire, expolsion?

I'm gonna pull it out Monday and patch it if it's still leaking. Both times I found gas tank was full. Could have been a hose. I'll report back how it went.

Found out today what my gas issue was. I was gonna pull the tank out tomorrow but what a mistake that would have been. Got some sunshine today and it heated up the fuel tank and was causing gas to expand and it was flowing into the vent and the fill hose and leaking out the cap. It is a new locking cap because I thought someone was stealing the fuel. So I've learned a lesson with this new boat not to store it with a full tank. I always did with my other boats to keep moisture from forming inside the tank. The boat is outside so it needs to be cranked up with the plug out to give water a place to go and that made the problem worse. So looks like I'll be fishing this week. So hopefully the fishing gods will bless me.🎣

I would not at all, before pulling tank, check lines, fittings, clamps. Lot of manufacturing today is pressed on fuel line clamps. I take them off, buy USA made screw type clamps. My new Japanese outboard, leaked at the motor, during cold weather.