Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021 Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021 Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021 Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021

Default Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021

UPDATE: The site said my post is too long and that I need to shorten it to 10000 characters, so I'm splitting this post into two separate posts....stupid restriction!

The pics in this post are from yesterday....and, today's are in the day 2 posting.

Doug and Mark drove down from Wisconsin Sunday afternoon to fish with me yesterday and today. So, this will be a two day report, since I didn't have the time to write an individual report for yesterday.

4/19/2021
    I left the house at 4:45 and did the usual gas station routine, and drove back across town to meet my crew at a ramp on the Portage River. The wind was out of the SW, and was gusting to the low to mid 20's, so I thought it would be best to go out of the river and hug the shoreline over to the can area.

Wait....wait...wait...let me back up, and get back to the gas station. I almost forgot about these two other fellas from Wisconsin that showed up towing a little 14 or 16 foot tin boat, that was definitely not what we usually see for use on Lake Erie.

I walked over to them, but didn't bother to get their names, because I know myself too well, and I would never be able to remember their names anyway, so I never asked. They are known to me as the "Little Blue Boat Guys from Wisco".

Anyway, while my gas tank was filling up, I walked over and knocked on the driver's window and said, "Where ya launching out of?" He said, "Mazurik's". I said, "Where do you plan on fishing?", and he said, "We were thinking of heading to the north side of Kelly's". I said, "No you're not...not today....you will die." I then added, "Why don't you follow me today? I'm launching out of the Portage River and headed to the cans. I fished there yesterday and did very well. It will be a lot more protected and safer for you". They agreed, and said "Thank you", as I walked away. "By the way, what's your name?", he asked. I turned and said, "Juls". A big grin crossed his face and he said, "Oh, you're Juls...you do those reports on Walleye.com. I read those all the time!" I said, "Thanks for reading them", and smiled.

I told them the area and the program, and that they should launch with me and let me lead them out of the river, due to the channel being zig-zaggy... and, the fact that the electronics he had in the boat was sonar only and no gps. The river gets pretty shallow if you get off the main channel. (The marker buoys were not in yet).

At the mouth of the river, I slowed down, so they could catch up, and I pointed in the direction they needed to go to get to the right cans. They thanked us and we took off.

We used Bandits 40 and 50 back. Blue Chrome and Buck Fever were hot.
    One blue/orange bellied Jointed DHJ12 at 65 back caught several fish, and Spro's Madeye 120 in the Golden Perch and Blue Chrome colors at 50 back helped put fish in the boat too.

Speed was 1.7-1.8mph

We had a 2 person limit in the boat by 7:53, and had tossed back two keepers, when the firing range patrol boat came up on us to inform us that Camp Perry would be using the range area from 8-4 Monday through Friday this week, so we had to move out of the range and find another place to fish. Too bad too, because that spot was really good.

So, we moved south of the cans and set up. We picked away at three more to put in the box...lost a couple more and caught a giant Sheephead and a few White Bass, but never filled our three person limit.

I could see the "Blue Boat Guys" reeling fish in from time to time, so they were doing well enough, that I didn't stop by them when we left to head back in. I did see them later when I went to walk my dog, and they had just pulled out of the river and were getting ready to leave. They said they had caught 9 and lost 3, so they had a fun morning too. They agreed with me, that if we had not been kicked out of our first spot, that we all would have limited out.

Oh well...such is fishing. It was a fun time on a windy day! I told my guys that the wind forecast kept changing for the next day, and that I would get up at my usual 3am time and check the wind forecast then and let them know if it's a go or not. They thought that was a good idea, since they were going to be here in the morning anyway. Mark said, "Well, even if it looks like we can only get out for a few hours, like 10am, that's good enough". I said, "That sounds good....I'll text you in the morning after I see what the weather holds in store".

Continued in another post....see Day Two Fishing with Doug and Mark 4/20/2021

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021-doug-mark-4-19-20212-jpg Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021-doug-mark-4-19-20214-jpg Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021-doug-mark-4-19-20216-jpg Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021-doug-mark-4-19-20217-jpg Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021-doug-mark-4-19-20211-jpg 
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 04-20-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

You really did your good deed for the day saving those two guys from going into unsafe waters with their small boat.And showed them where to fish.Great job.

Class act Capt Juls. Not only warning the small boaters of the dangerous conditions, but giving them an alternative with all the info they needed to catch fish after driving all that way to get to lake Erie. Well done.

Absolutely class act. You’re what we call “good people” where I’m from. Thanks for all you do, Captain Jules.

Nice post Juls and your definitely correct on the Portage River zigzag channel to navigate through.

Quote Originally Posted by island troller View Post
    Nice post Juls and your definitely correct on the Portage River zigzag channel to navigate through.
    Someone told me you own walleye.com, can't you make your posts as long as you like. Everyone enjoys your post if they were shorter they just wouldn't be the same

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    Someone told me you own walleye.com, can't you make your posts as long as you like. Everyone enjoys your post if they were shorter they just wouldn't be the same
    Lol...I do not own Walleye.com.
    [email protected]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Lol...I do not own Walleye.com.
    Hi Capt J. I'm going to send the "rule makers" of Walleye.com a copy of Tolstoy's War And Peace.
    Gonna give them the whole summer to wade thru it. Perhaps then they'll have a true understanding of the stupidity of their limiting your writings?
    You Rock!!

Default Re: Fishing Day One with Doug and Mark 4/19/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hi Capt J. I'm going to send the "rule makers" of Walleye.com a copy of Tolstoy's War And Peace.
    Gonna give them the whole summer to wade thru it. Perhaps then they'll have a true understanding of the stupidity of their limiting your writings?
    You Rock!!
    They didn't know there was a limit on characters...probably, because no one ever writes that much! lol

They changed the setting...it's all good now.
    [email protected]