Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Scatter the walleye

Why is it these smaller boats have to go full throttle through a group of jiggers ?? Jigging has slowed because there are so many doing this .. We all know your boats can move pretty fast but my question is why do they do it

Sometimes it's almost impossible not to. I was out last Wednesday and there were boats scattered everywhere. They don't tend to pack as much as perch fisherman. There were groups around some of the reefs so I wouldn't run through them but when boats are sprinkled everywhere from Locust to the ship channel it's hard not run on plane past somebody.

Interesting,several weeks ago read a post that a guy finally found a small pod of active fish when there was a lot of dirty water.Was doing well there when a group of jiggers set up on the spot.Poster said could not troll through that area anymore due to to many jigger had drifted,spot lock or anchored on the spot.Sounds like it was deep water and not on a reef.Maybe one of those trollers was getting even with those jiggers.

Mr Bob .. First.. While trolling if you ever troll in 12 foot of water you don’t full throttle through a 50 or more boats . Second ..this was not in the middle of the lake but on the shores of the lake .. Regardless even Perch fishing some do the same.. That is called no respect .. and yes it does spook fish and scatter them

I think sometimes people are rude, but most of the time they’re ignorant. Five years ago I never would have thought about driving safely by boats at any speed. I don’t live near the lake, so I think big lake edicate for fishing is difficult sometimes - like last year I was launching from Catawba and couldn’t even get out from the ramp for the hundreds of perch boats - am I supposed to go trolling speed all the way to south bass island? That’s about how far the boats were packed up, so I’m sorta being serious?

I get being upset by it, I do. But I also understand that if I’m close to a marina at all, somebody is going to zoom by sooner or later.

Sure its rude to fly thru boats drifting and jigging/casting.We dont do it and most dont but,as usual it takes just a few to ruin it for the rest.See it all the time driving and some on lake Erie.There can be times a pack is so huge,that it is near impossible to go around the pack.When i was driving i picked my widest holes to go thru and if i had to get close to someone,i would idle down.I tell the my buddies the same when im with them.And if were trolling,i tell them to stay clear of the drifting casters and never troll close enough for them to reach our lines with a cast.If we get too close i will yell an apology to the drifter and blame the driver.

there are no clear answers it a big lake and boaters can do better when under power.but im not driving5 miles out of my way to make sure someone doesnt get any wake from my boat,and jiggers and casters can be better about not setting up in the middle of trollers when they are working a active school of fish.i do see that alot. i have alot of charter boats come within 75 yards of me wide open and not a boat around for at least a mile away.i hate fishing packs.rather spend all day fishing than fighting other boats.

How is it then that one can Mark fish while on plane and make a turn and set up trolling back through the same line and catch fish if it’s scattered them and scared them into not biting. Seams like a lot of the time someone is looking for a reason that they are not catching and the boat on plane gets the blame I have fished the last few springs on the Roanoke river for stripers in 12-15’ feet of water with boats running full throttle within 50’ of other boats and everyone’s still catching

I'd say the ones who blast through the group are the same ones who " Make Ready" on the boat ramp. Most out there are considerate of others, but there is always a handful of selfish fools. I have other words I use, but not on the forum.

I always give the pack a wide birth and find me a hole. This for trollers, anchored, or drifting no matter. There is plenty of lake and plenty of time..
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Blog Entries

May be the rules we learned from golf could be applied in fishing

1 do not step in another persons putting line. example before you set up watch for trollers who are on a line coming your way its extremely hard to set up to troll and when some one sets up a drift or worse yet anchors in there path its going to cause unneeded problems

2 let the others ahead finish the hole before you tee off. example do not run to every net you see dip into the water if you want to follow a drift over active fish set up well behind the boats in that area every one takes there turn over the that area and you should not jump ahead

3 your not on tour so have fun its a big lake !

there are more but some else can add there Golf /fishing etiquette
    [ˈedəkət, ˈedəˌket]
    NOUN
    the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.