Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Scatter the walleye

shotgun, I think you got it mixed up. I remember fishing late 70s, 80s, and 90% were drifters. When I worked in sporting goods store early 90s, captains started trolling because "those dam mussels cleaned the whole lake and scattered the walleye!"

Rickerd

2. Default Re: Scatter the walleye

I know that this is 2021, but in simple math 2020-50= 1970. I can only comment on Ohio waters from Turtle creek to Vermilion. I lived on the beachfront west of Davis Besse from 1951- 1963. I fished nearly every day during the summer. Then I moved to Ruggles Beach & lived there from 1964 to 1976. I personally know of no one that casted for “pickerel” before 1968 But I know of a lot of people that trolled, including myself, my father, & several other relatives & neighbors. I know Captain Dan Galbincea & others started casting in the early 60’s, but his lure was not perfected & made commercially until the late 60’s. The boom in casting did not really take off until Ohio banned netting for walleye in 1970. With all due respect & IMHO

Why did so many of you troll when you could have casted for them ?
    Gas was expensive back then from what I hear.

Rickerd

Rickerd, 1978 was the first year I had my captains license and have fished many times aboard the Erie Dearie with Danny also was on the last trip he made the day he passed away. The biggest switch to trolling came when the numbers crashed due to the mussels. To due well casting you had to be in pretty good physical shape making 100s of casts some days with your back and shoulders starting to ache buy boy it was fun!