Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye Scatter the walleye
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, do not pick up another’s ball (planer board) and take off, especially when there are boats all over.
    Last edited by ttinman23; 04-18-2021 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ttinman23 View Post
    Yes, do not pick up another’s ball (planer board) and take off, especially when there are boats all over.
    yep thats a good one

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    May be the rules we learned from golf could be applied in fishing

1 do not step in another persons putting line. example before you set up watch for trollers who are on a line coming your way its extremely hard to set up to troll and when some one sets up a drift or worse yet anchors in there path its going to cause unneeded problems

2 let the others ahead finish the hole before you tee off. example do not run to every net you see dip into the water if you want to follow a drift over active fish set up well behind the boats in that area every one takes there turn over the that area and you should not jump ahead

3 your not on tour so have fun its a big lake !

there are more but some else can add there Golf /fishing etiquette
    [ˈedəkət, ˈedəˌket]
    NOUN
    the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.
    You trollers really think there is a "hole" marked with fairways, tee and green to determine direction?
    You think everyone sees the same "pin" and stays out of your path?
    You're not on tour either so if you see a drifter 1/8 a mile in front of you, adjust to their upwind side so as not to disrupt their drift.

Geeze you think everyone has your layout in front of them when they pick a drift?

I drift and troll and to be honest, I've seen 10 times as many A-hole trollers as drifters.
    Yes it is a big lake so adjust before you run over another persons path.

Rickerd

Golf really! Usually don't comment much about the. trollers but I've been fishing this pond for the last 6o years & know every rock on both sides..Nothing against trolling know its extremely effective but not really fishing. Drifting and casting is a true art and all I do. You can cause an awful big tangle when someone passes within your casting distance. please give the drifters some space .your the one thats under power...

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by eriepro View Post
    Golf really! Usually don't comment much about the. trollers but I've been fishing this pond for the last 6o years & know every rock on both sides..Nothing against trolling know its extremely effective but not really fishing. Drifting and casting is a true art and all I do. You can cause an awful big tangle when someone passes within your casting distance. please give the drifters some space .your the one thats under power...
    I totally agree ! Have not been at it as long as you only about 40 years for myself , as for myself I do not troll much mostly cast and drift fish in the shallow end of the pond.

I would like to apologize for the nerve this post has hit on no doubt the drifters and trollers have some things to work out .

My golf analogy was only to provide a comparison between the two sports I enjoy the time I get to be on the big lake despite the frustrations. were all in this together so just have fun "oh by the way I'm not very good at Golf either "

No Problem Mike, The lake sure has changed in the past 40 years from 90 percent casting to about that same percentage trolling. In the early 80s most charters left the dock around 8am now most leave before sun up. We had a 10 fish limit those days & we were usually back at the dock before lunch. Casting is still very productive but limits take a little more time. I throw mostly casting harnesses now compared to weight forward spinners. Rock fishing on the Canadian side was my favorite!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eriepro View Post
    No Problem Mike, The lake sure has changed in the past 40 years from 90 percent casting to about that same percentage trolling. In the early 80s most charters left the dock around 8am now most leave before sun up. We had a 10 fish limit those days & we were usually back at the dock before lunch. Casting is still very productive but limits take a little more time. I throw mostly casting harnesses now compared to weight forward spinners. Rock fishing on the Canadian side was my favorite!!!
    About spooking fish in shallow water, last summer in June I was fishing 12 to 20 fow Huron area. I had jets ski's buzzing me. A pontoon boat pulling water skiers. Numerous power boats flying by nearly running my boards over. We had a nice steady pick going catching fish close to shore, everyone else was miles off shore that day. Well the boat traffic disappeared and guess what the bite stopped. So I'm not sure boat traffic is the problem. As far as buzzing by someone have some respect.

correction it was in early August

No problem Mike, I have often made the analogy of golf when fishing rivers. Some people move upstream, some downstream, some stay put. People use bait, lures and people flyfish. I've encountered overcrowding rivers, especially in PA and MI waters, though I've never tried the Maumee. I've had more polite people on the rivers asking me if I want to squeeze between them and their buddy, 40 feet away, than I see on the big lake. I don't understand it. So much water and so many fish in the big lake.

I also think the metroparks in cleveland needs to have people move along the rivers in similar ways as a golf course. Take 45 minutes to play the hole, then move up or down and let someone else try the area. This would be similar to when the larger rivers with drift boats have people move downstream and leapfrog each other during the day. Although, the metroparks cannot even keep golfers moving so what makes me think they can direct fisherpersons during steelhead season right?

Hey, tight lines everyone,
    I hope to get out this weekend for first time of the season.
    Rickerd

10. Default Re: Scatter the walleye

Yes, & 50 yrs ago it was 90% trollers & 10 % casters. And 60 yrs ago it was probably 99.9% trollers & very few casters. Funny how stuff repeats itself.