What line to use for trolling? What line to use for trolling? What line to use for trolling? What line to use for trolling?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What line to use for trolling?

We are new to trolling and my father just went out and bought 6 7'-6" okuma line counting trolling combos. What line should we put in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Davesalisbury View Post
    We are new to trolling and my father just went out and bought 6 7'-6" okuma line counting trolling combos. What line should we put in them?

30lb braid

What type of trolling do you normally do ?

If it's big boards and jets or try trips go with 30/8 power pro braid .

If you normally troll in line boards with cranks or harnesses 12# berkley big game is what I use .
    But as far as mono there are several options.

If you are going to use the precision trolling app. make sure you use line in the diameters that they test with. I believe they base their info on 10# XT and 10# fireline.

As mentioned here, the decision depends on how you are going to use them. Big boards and dipsy's then go with Braid. If planning on using inline boards then mono is the ONLY way to go. I will add that I feel that inline boards and mono are CRUCIAL early spring trolling below 1.6/1.8 mph.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

If you have 3 with 12# big game, and 3 with 30# powerpro, you will have options.

I'm assuming you are fishing mostly WB. As mentioned early in season and really until middle of july, you don't need braid. During these times I put 50 feet of 12# big game as a leader, off my braid rods. This allows me to fish all 6 with mono until I start using divers. Divers must be run on braid to get them to track properly. Having 3 with braid, you can run 3 divers on one side, and 3 boards on the other through the hot part of the summer.

This system works for me as far east and cleveland area into the fall.
    Rickerd

Agree with Eriegardless with using mono on inline boards and in the cold water crank bite.We use 15# Maxima Ultragreen mono.Most guys use 12# mono due to being closer in diameter to what the dive charts read.I go with a little heavier line because i spool a buddy's rods and he is a bit of a novice.I dont seam to have any problem with the 15# diameter in regards to figuring out depth with the dive charts though.

For the inlines, why mono instead of braid?

Sorry, meant to ask on the inline boards why mono instead of floro?

The stretch of mono allows the in line boards to run smoother .

The stretch also allows the fish to get the bait deeper before being hooked.