After the big winds...? After the big winds...? After the big winds...? After the big winds...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default After the big winds...?

Looking way ahead I know - early next weeks looks maybe doable for three days (Mon-Wed) in my little 17' boat. With the big winds coming this Thursday and Friday, how long does it take for the lake to settle down and clear up to something you regulars consider decent? I'm not looking to shoot myself in the foot with bad conditions, my abilities already take care of that

Hoping to come solo from WI for my one shot this year shot. Mostly trolling. Maybe find some little marina areas for panfishing or something if things get too whipped up on the big water.

I'm going to try fishing Sunday if the calmer weather holds. You should be good by Monday- Wednesday.
    Duckwater boat owner, I fish for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducker View Post
    I'm going to try fishing Sunday if the calmer weather holds. You should be good by Monday- Wednesday.

Thank you for the feedback!

Follow up? Winds from the south at 10-12, gusting higher... are those considered pretty good for the reef and can areas this time of the year?

Hard to tell, a real 10 to 12 isn't bad, but with gusting higher is the problem. Who knows what we'll actually get. I and many others use iwind for their forecast, or a combination of a couple. If iwind says less than 10, I'm pretty comfortable with it., but if it says 10 gusting to 15 then it's a wait and see what it actually is. There were at least 3 footers last Sunday and it wasn't fun to fish them. It was doable but not fun. Other than a north wind, there's always someplace calm to fish. Good luck.
    Duckwater boat owner, I fish for fun.

I have a 17.5 aluminum deep V.
    2 foot or less is what I look for. Several sites you can look at on the web. Google web cams, noaa has wave forecasts, I wind surf site will give you wind direction and speed. Hope this helps.

This all helps.... TY. I was here a couple years ago and the wind turned quick and it was a little terrifying for the very long ride back. I’m in a deep 17’ boat that I trust.... but prefer to be a little more safe now days.
    Last edited by cycleguy; 03-17-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added info

That end around the reef complex west of catawba it can get pretty murky after a blow. Check out coast watch on the web click on lake Erie and you'll see daily satellite updates of the conditions. If it's cloudy you might not see much. Its a 3 hour drive for me so I look at everything. Haven't been wrong once in 6 years. But usually can find fish some where.

Would think Sun thru Tue looking good so far from Forcast.Difficult to predict how a blow will affect the fishing.Not only wind can shut things down but cold fronts moving through.
    But a few things you have to consider after a blow.The wind will mix the water and cool it off.The reef complex will get muddied due to their shallowness.That dirty water will move east with the current.The fish will find deeper water during the blow and hang out in the transition clarity water because its warmer than clean water.But you can catch fish in dirty water with cranks as long as you can see cavitation plate on outboard.
    The fishing is better the longer the weather is stable.And after a blow the rollers continue for a while until the wind changes direction or slows down long enough.Good luck.

Gusty winds and heavy rain will mud up the lake more inland for jigging .. But we will have to wait and see .. Murky water is good for jigging but not muddy!!

It is really cool how much all of you know about this.... and very impressive you share it... thank you.