Boat repair Boat repair Boat repair Boat repair
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat repair

Default Boat repair

​Can anyone give me a recommendation on what type of plywood I should use for a new floor in my aluminum boat
    RS

Marine grade plywood. It's very expensive but worth it. They also sell a sealer to paint on and especially do the edges. I would say call a Marina to ask about the sealer. But definitely use Marine grade plywood

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Need a little more info on the boat to really answer that question.

What size boat? Is it a 17 -18 foot open fiishing boat, or a bigger boat with a cabin? Is it stored inside most of the time?

Yes Marine Plywood is the usual choice for a long lasting floor. You may want to looking into alternative materials that may be available today, such as plastic or figerglass. Something that won't rot out over time like wood does. I don't know what may be available. Stop into a repair shop and ask, and do some Internet research.

Default Floor replacements

[QUOTE=HawgHunter;71224]​Can anyone give me a recommendation on what type of plywood I should use for a new floor in my aluminum boat[/QUOTE.
    Marine plywodd sealed on top bottom and sides. We covered ours with vinyl. Just hose it out atthe end of the day. Works great. We got the marine plywood at Skiffcraft Boatworks in Plain City Ohio.

Menards has marine Plywood currently at 11% off

coat it with West System 105 from West Marine

I thought this was a fishing report page, please move to appropriate page.
    Duckwater boat owner, I fish for fun.

Blog Entries

Thanks capt tacky i am going to be needing some also for a couple of repairs . this site always provides useful info regarding boating, fishing ,maintenance, repairs, etc. we depend on the years of experience and knowledge of all you mariners helps keep us fishing and enjoying our boats .

As has been noted Marine grade is best but also most expensive. Just so you know marine grade has nothing to do with rot resistance so make sure you seal with epoxy. Marine grade means there are less voids in between layers, it is better wood and if you can afford it by all means get it but it is not absolutely necessary. Sealing with the epoxy is very important, better to have good plywood and sealant than marine and no sealant. Just so you know.

Just make sure you never get pressure treated wood with an aluminum boat. Due to the process of pressure treating( with copper solution) there will be a chemical reaction- galvanic corrosion- and your aluminum will literally disintegrate.

Blog Entries

That's why I love this site ! great info i never would have considered the pressure treated wood as a problem I m helping a friend out with his floor on a aluminum boat so will pass this on to him

Great info I agree. Now no one else can find it later, because it in the wrong section. Why look in fishing reports for how to fix a boat.
    Duckwater boat owner, I fish for fun.