Welded Aluminum Boats Welded Aluminum Boats Welded Aluminum Boats Welded Aluminum Boats
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    I see more and more of the welded aluminum boats on the lake and being sold at boat dealerships. Cabelas, Bass Pro, and now Happy Days Boating in Port Clinton are selling these boats. I know Capt Sam of the PorkChop Charters runs an aluminum boat. Are people going to these boats because they ride better, they are easier to maintain that a fiberglass boat, are fiberglass boats increasing in price faster than the aluminum? They look really solid.
    Thanks
    Bruce
    I have been in aluminum boats since the 80's, from a 14' to my present 22' Hewescraft Ocean Pro (2008). This advice is for the Great Lakes and specifically for Lake Erie Western Basin. Firstly, there is no "PERFECT" boat. Fiberglass and Aluminum are like oil and water, they both have their high and low points.

The following comments are for aluminum boats under 3,000 lbs (over 3,000, thinking around 5 to 7,000lbs these style boat's are much closer in overall performance to fiberglass.) Lighter aluminum boats ride hard, get better gas mileage, trailering, aren't good trollers in heavy weather (2 to 4') because the bow rolls over and most rock like hell. My Hewescraft is horrible at drifting due to wind surfaces, but my 1890 Lund ProV drifted fine. They perform best (jigging, drifting, trolling) in calm seas. You want aluminum, you fish Erie, you don't have time to wait until the lake is calm..........get a large, heavy aluminum boat at least 25,26' in length and weighing over 5K. Hewescraft makes the "Alaskan series", take a look at that, very expensive, over $100K (new). Pockets not so deep get a good used Sportcraft, Baha GLE, Parker 23+ ' in length, about 25' is right, 27' for chartering is ideal. Aliminun boats with outboards a little cheaper to maintain, but not much. Aluminum boats take a beating and keep on ticking, I have many "character marks" on my Hewescraft that would have splintered a fiberglass boat. Summary: If you buy aluminum "GO BIG", otherwise follow advice above on fiberglass.Welded Aluminum Boats-img_8617-jpgWelded Aluminum Boats-img_5485-jpgWelded Aluminum Boats-img_5485-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    I see more and more of the welded aluminum boats on the lake and being sold at boat dealerships. Cabelas, Bass Pro, and now Happy Days Boating in Port Clinton are selling these boats. I know Capt Sam of the PorkChop Charters runs an aluminum boat. Are people going to these boats because they ride better, they are easier to maintain that a fiberglass boat, are fiberglass boats increasing in price faster than the aluminum? They look really solid.
    Thanks
    Bruce
    I have been in aluminum boats since the 80's, from a 14' to my present 22' Hewescraft Ocean Pro (2008). This advice is for the Great Lakes and specifically for Lake Erie Western Basin. Firstly, there is no "PERFECT" boat. Fiberglass and Aluminum are like oil and water, they both have their high and low points.

The following comments are for aluminum boats under 3,000 lbs (over 3,000, thinking around 5 to 7,000lbs these style boat's are much closer in overall performance to fiberglass.) Lighter aluminum boats ride hard, get better gas mileage, trailering, aren't good trollers in heavy weather (2 to 4') because the bow rolls over and most rock like hell. My Hewescraft is horrible at drifting due to wind surfaces, but my 1890 Lund ProV drifted fine. They perform best (jigging, drifting, trolling) in calm seas. You want aluminum, you fish Erie, you don't have time to wait until the lake is calm..........get a large, heavy aluminum boat at least 25,26' in length and weighing over 5K. Hewescraft makes the "Alaskan series", take a look at that, very expensive, over $100K (new). Pockets not so deep get a good used Sportcraft, Baha GLE, Parker 23+ ' in length, about 25' is right, 27' for chartering is ideal. Aliminun boats with outboards a little cheaper to maintain, but not much. Aluminum boats take a beating and keep on ticking, I have many "character marks" on my Hewescraft that would have splintered a fiberglass boat. Summary: If you buy aluminum "GO BIG", otherwise follow advice above on fiberglass.Welded Aluminum Boats-img_8617-jpg
    Welded Aluminum Boats-img_1491-jpg

I upgraded to a Hewescraft, good solid boat high gunnels. Because the cockpit is foward, lots of fishing room for a 17 ft.boat. in chop rides a lot rougher then my old glass boat. EZ ride seat and slow speed in heavy chop. Glad I purchased it all and all considered