Fishing Line Fishing Line Fishing Line Fishing Line

Thread: Fishing Line

Default Fishing Line

I bought some Sunline Supernatural fishing line about a year ago to respool my reels but last year with COVID our fishing trip was cancelled. Would you be okay with using it for this years trip or would you toss it and buy new??

Thanks,

FF

I think heat and direct sunlight ruins mono fishing line. Lets see what others say.

if its stored away from the heat and out of any sunlight i think you'll be fine. i keep my bulk spools in the basement for long periods of time with no issues.

Tie your leader or whatever lure you use and check it yourself. Try breaking it. I think you’ll be fine

Blog Entries

You know I think the fishing line is ok sitting on a spool at the bait store for years why not on my reel in the closet for a few ? but you know its all about confidence so do what gives you a little more .

The fishing line is still in the original package as my trip was canceled so early last year.

If the line has been stored properly, it will be fine to use years from now. Line, whether mono or braid should both be stored out of sunlight, out of excessive heat, out of excessive moisture, in the box it was sold in (minor). I have been fishing with the same braid on both trolling and spinning reels, for years. I reverse the line every one to two years (instructions for doing this can be found on YouTube or other internet sites). Natural sunlight that shines on the line while it is being used fishing will bleach the line color, but this has never compromised the structure of the braid in my experience. I looked up the line that you mention in your post, and as I have never used this line it is still monofilement and should be cared for as aforementioned. Check your lines for abrasion each season, especially your trolling lines. Check your guides yearly on all of your trolling, dipsey, and jet rods.