Newbie hoping for some help Newbie hoping for some help Newbie hoping for some help Newbie hoping for some help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie hoping for some help

I'm new to the site, and typically only fish for walleye in L Erie with crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers but was hoping to try Bandits, and maybe dipseys with crawler harnesses.

Looking at Bandits, I see they come in 4-3/4" size and are also available as a B shad that is 3-1/4". Is one preferred over the other? The 4-3/4" seems quite big to me.

Looking at Dipseys, I see a 3/0 which is 2-1/4" dia but doesn't seem to have a release, and a 001 which is 3-1/4" dia. Would you recommend one of these or perhaps something else. I like the size of the 3/0 but not sure about it without a release, and the 3-1/4" seems large but perhaps not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 3/4" bandits, shallow and deep divers. #1 size dipsys is what ya want.

Yep #1 dipsey and 4.75" walleye deep bandit is what most are using.

Thanks Gentlemen,

your help is appreciated!

Since you are new to running bandits, the best thing you can do is go to precision trolling data website and watch their video to see how deep your baits are truly diving. Get their phone app and buy the one for deep diver bandits. A little research and you will be able to figure out what you can do to get those down deeper for the fish near bottom on 30-40 foot deep waters. Quite interesting and productive. They have quite the selection of different products they have tested and has been very helpful for me.

Thanks Bob, nice source.

Reading more, it appears Dipsey divers don't work well below a min speed (ie 1.5?). So below 1.5 do boards work well? What type and size of boards are used good? I see a few manuf and sizes. Is a tattle flag is the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    I'm new to the site, and typically only fish for walleye in L Erie with crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers but was hoping to try Bandits, and maybe dipseys with crawler harnesses.

Looking at Bandits, I see they come in 4-3/4" size and are also available as a B shad that is 3-1/4". Is one preferred over the other? The 4-3/4" seems quite big to me.

Looking at Dipseys, I see a 3/0 which is 2-1/4" dia but doesn't seem to have a release, and a 001 which is 3-1/4" dia. Would you recommend one of these or perhaps something else. I like the size of the 3/0 but not sure about it without a release, and the 3-1/4" seems large but perhaps not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Green clown, and get yourself some snap weights 1oz and 2oz'ers....I personally don't mess with dispy's fishing the western basin.

I'm not really sure how slow you can effectively fish dipsies,but they are made to plane down and out at speed.And when they slow down or stall they sink like a weight.We usually do not start using dipsies till the spoon/harness bite starts when water temps hit 50-52 degress.By that time our trolling speeds are around 1.8-2.2 mph and the dipsies work just fine at that speed.
    As for inline boards,you can use them at very slow speeds.Guys are using those boards right after ice out and trolling 1.0mph.You can even stall boards to get bites too.We have the tattle flags that pull down on all our offshore inline boards.Think that is best way to go.
    Last season we did really well trolling bandits in late April thru May.Sweet lead was 70 and 80 unassisted.We were running 6 rods,so had 90,70, and 20/25 w 2oz on one side then 80,60 and 20/20 w 2oz on other side.The longest leads on outside boards and weight on inside boards.I switched up those inside boards between 20/20,20/25, and 20/30 with 2oz depending on what was catching.

Thanks Bob, that's a lot of good information and is appreciated!

That Bob, he will get you some good info just ask.... You'll be showing the pics soon.. Get you some clip-on weights. The are the Cats Patoot. You can fish just about anything using them at what ever depth you want. Also, start collecting data on line out- to depth - weight needed. The information is out there and easy to find. I don't care much for dipseys but the #1 with ring/without ring will get you down for the most part.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium