Newbie hoping for some help Newbie hoping for some help Newbie hoping for some help Newbie hoping for some help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lot of very good information here. One I might add is the importance of calibrating your reels for consistency. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube how to do it correctly. I started trolling some for the first time about 3 years ago, never done it before and I learned so much reading in this forum. Guys are great with helping and its all been very appreciated. I have been quit successful right from the get go. Can't wait to get back on the open water!!!

only buy 2 dipseys to start with
    make sure you buy the bigger deeper ones with auto release
    a lot of people try dipseys a few times and stop using them
    for me they were a waste of money - to many tangles
    you have to keep them far enough apart
    as far as using 4 poles with no planer boards
    there are going to be tangled lines
    I use 1 - 6 oz. of weight instead
    there is nothing wrong with trying something new - I did so myself
    start with 2 then see how much you like them
    E-Bay has better prices

Default Newbie suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    I'm new to the site, and typically only fish for walleye in L Erie with crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers but was hoping to try Bandits, and maybe dipseys with crawler harnesses.

Looking at Bandits, I see they come in 4-3/4" size and are also available as a B shad that is 3-1/4". Is one preferred over the other? The 4-3/4" seems quite big to me.

Looking at Dipseys, I see a 3/0 which is 2-1/4" dia but doesn't seem to have a release, and a 001 which is 3-1/4" dia. Would you recommend one of these or perhaps something else. I like the size of the 3/0 but not sure about it without a release, and the 3-1/4" seems large but perhaps not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Buy both sizes of stick baits. Different colors- you never know what’s going to work day to day- week to week. Many will tell you that blue and chrome is a staple but many color combos work. Just depends on what they like that day.

I would recommend using Kastaway Kulis divers over dipseys. I use the magnum size. I prefer silver chrome but they come in different colors. Has a magnet release so you can “break” the magnet and check them easily without reeling all the way in. I’ve use them for years and highly recommend them. They are made here in Cleveland. Very durable and reliable. About the same price. We also troll them “broke” meaning the magnet is not in the dive position but still takes whatever bait down- just not as far. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhawk97 View Post
    Lot of very good information here. One I might add is the importance of calibrating your reels for consistency. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube how to do it correctly. I started trolling some for the first time about 3 years ago, never done it before and I learned so much reading in this forum. Guys are great with helping and its all been very appreciated. I have been quit successful right from the get go. Can't wait to get back on the open water!!!
    Good points on that!
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Grizzle- not sure if you seen the private message I sent you a few days ago, may want to check if you have not seen it

Thanks everyone for the help! Its very much appreciated.

I've used dipsies and they work fine as anticipated. But once I used Lite Bite divers, there is no going back to dipsies. Once you understand how to set up the Lite Bite Divers, you would never go back to dipsies. The LIte Bites are mose sensative and trip on the smallest fish. I like the clear divers, but I hear black is good too.

And as was said before, you don't need to use any divers in West End until middle of July or later, or some people never. But East of the islands, they are a necessary tool to have.

Rickerd