East Harbor Jigging East Harbor Jigging East Harbor Jigging East Harbor Jigging

Default East Harbor Jigging

Hey all,

We were out on east harbor both saturday and sunday fising and didnt catch anything! any adivce on what you all are using or how anyone else did?

I'm not sure what your fishing for but if it's walleye your probably not gonna find them in the harbor. I don't ice fish but I'm thinking you need to be out of the harbor somewhere. Would like to here somebody with some experience chime in on this one.

If trying to catch panfish, you have to hit the weeds west south west of the kayak launch. Tungsten jugs with wax worms is a go to.

I have a friend that fishes East Harbor a lot in the summer. There are lots of crappie, bluegill and believe it or not, perch in there too. Largemouth all over in there too.
    Ice jigs tipped with spikes or wax worms likely would work on those panfish.

Put your Shanty on Snow , keep it dark inside, use light line ,very small jig head with green in it ,no extra weight , be patient as the jig is light and until u get the hang of it can be hard to get it down, best is to use a clip on weight to set depth than take it off and use just the jig ,do not reel so depth stays just lift your pole when you catch one or to check bait, also a spring on the end of pole helps you can buy them all over and attach it easily. if you are in the pack fish about 8 feet deep , or just above the weed bed, we do well everytime we there . use wigglers or wax worms .

Blog Entries

Default Ice jigging

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    I'm not sure what your fishing for but if it's walleye your probably not gonna find them in the harbor. I don't ice fish but I'm thinking you need to be out of the harbor somewhere. Would like to here somebody with some experience chime in on this one.
    I agree with this post. You will catch bluegill and largemouth bass in the harbor thru the ice. I have fished Lake Erie for over 50 years , recreationally and professionally, and have not been fortunate enough to find a harbor walleye. Once ice breaks up, the walleyes will migrate to the western basin shoals to spawn and panfish will migrate to marinas where water temps warm more quickly. Find a marina that you can fish for fantastic crappie fishing. Bluegills and largemouth bass will be there also. Gently, vertical jig along any dark structure that absorbs sun light. The very best jig out there is a 1/10 oz Sonic BaitFish. Glow white and glow chartreuse are my personal favorites. These baits have a vibration that is not in other highly promoted metal jigs! They are also just as good for walleyes off the western basin rockpiles. That 1/10 oz is deadly on the cast then gently bouncing it along the structure back to the boat.
    Remember, there is not much color in early spring bait fish. As a result, a glow white Sonic BaitFish should be your best finish. Be well...Pete