Auger size Auger size Auger size Auger size

Thread: Auger size

Default Auger size

New to ice fishing and wanting to get started. What size augers is the standard size for walleye and what is a good auger to get for is the manual augers very good. Also what would be the weight of jigging raps to get started with

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Since nobody else has responded, I'd advise posting your question on this ice fishing website. I don't know anything about it expect I've started checking it for Lake Erie ice fishing reports.

IceShanty.com's Ice Fishing Community

Default Auger size

Quote Originally Posted by Cvanburen View Post
    New to ice fishing and wanting to get started. What size augers is the standard size for walleye and what is a good auger to get for is the manual augers very good. Also what would be the weight of jigging raps to get started with
    I would Recommend an 8" auger for lake erie
    I have an 8" and a 10" both are nice 10" is a little overkill in my opinion.
    I have the strikemaster lithium 40v auger I love it.
    I will probably never own another gas auger

Well, if you look at my user name, you will figure out I like to ice fish. Yes this site is more bent towards open water fishing, which I also do. The ice shanty group is ok, but as it goes, reliable ice is hit and miss, as is the group. At least in this region. For ice thicknesses of 6 inches or less, I use a good old Mora 7. Pulled a 13. 5 pound walleye thru that size hole with no problem. For thicker ice I have a gas powered strike master eight inches. The way you will find them is by moving and cutting a lot of holes in a day. Also with the current on Erie, if you use a flasher, you will need to cut two holes at least with your flasher down current of the hole you are jigging in. You will find this to be true and will learn the curve. Be careful crossing the compression breaks. Especially when there is still open water in the Western Basin

I would agree with Jvgoofy.
    8” auger is sufficient for the western basin, and I would highly recommend electric...strikemaster is what I have but it’s the old style 12v sport battery so it’s the same as the Vexilar. Not that it matters but could come into play in a pinch.
    My fishing buddy uses one that just hooks on to his cordless drill, seems to work well and cost effective if you have a good drill.
    No7 Swedish Pimple is my go to jig with a stinger tipped with a minnow. I think I have every color ever made so use your own judgment on that.
    3 1/2” (7/8oz) Jigging Rap works as well.
    Tight lines and stay safe!!
    Hize