Dipsy Dipsy Dipsy Dipsy
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipsy

Default Dipsy

Bought a couple 001 dipsy divers. I know how deep they run but how far out do they go, so I know how much space is in between line's.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Bought a couple 001 dipsy divers. I know how deep they run but how far out do they go, so I know how much space is in between line's.
    I don't think you'll find any info on how far out they run horizontally... Even though your line (visible line, from the rod tip into the water ) appears to be riding mostly straight back, the #2 and #3 setting dipsy's are really getting out there. Unless you're running into trouble tangling a #3 dipsy into your inside board line(s), which only seems to happen either with really small fish riding a dipsy or when you trip it to bring it in depending on how fast you crank it....

Maybe I'm confused as to what you are asking???
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Yes It sounds like you answered my question. I've never used the larger dipsy and was having a hard time finding any information about how far out horizontally they spread out. So saying pretty far out there is good enough for me. Basically I'll be trolling with 4 poles so if I have my 2 outside poles on a 2 setting would the inside poles be fine straight back with no assistance.

There really is no info on how far out a dipsey runs.That would depend on lead and speed.We run dipseys a lot once the spoon bite starts catching.But we only run 2 dipseys per side and usually are running them with a #1 and #3 settings.That gives you enough room between them to prevent tangles.A lot of guys run 3 dipseys per side and you have to be A lot more carefully because they are closer together.
    A couple of rules when running dipseys to prevent tangles.Weigh your dipseys.Sometimes there can be a difference of .6oz between them.Put heaviest dipseys on inside.That is because when you turn and the inside turn slows down,the heaviest dipsey sink faster.
    Male sure your outside lead,#3 setting is always longer than your inside lead,or #1 setting.When letting out your dipsey,make sure clicker on.If dipsey let out too fast will rotate and cause line to wrap around the release.If putting a #3 setting line out over a #1 setting that is already out,move to opposite side of boat so the dipsey has room to clear the line of the #1 setting.If attempting to put that #3 setting over the #1,make sure there is no fish on #1 setting or you will tangle almost for sure.
    We also have colored 8" snubbers on our dipseys with color indicating starboard or port side.I think snubbers also help prevent dipsey rotating when putting out due to added weight pulling lure back.I super glued all our rings too since they can separate if tough on them.
    I also keep a Phillips screw driver in my pocket to adjust tension on the releases.I want the tension to be just tight enough to hold when running.So speed and choppiness of water affect the amount of tension on the release.I'm often adjusting a lot initially or when rocking of boat causes false releases.
    We use #30 hi vis yellow power pro braid on our dipsey rods.Leaders 7ft seaguar 20# flourocarbon.Have been using more spoon harnesses past two seasons too.Takes some time and practice to fishing successfully with dipseys.But they can really catch fish and you can check and reset them pretty fast.Good luck.

Thanks Bob. That is a lot of good advice. Can't wait to get out there. Be a while before we will be using dipsys but since I just bought them my curiosity was getting the best of me. The things you explained you don't get on the back of the packaging. Much appreciated.

I was reading over your reply again. Some people don't use snubbers how important is it. Also if you have 1 line on the out side on a number 3 setting does the inside line need a dipsy. Can it be straight back on a snap weight.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    I was reading over your reply again. Some people don't use snubbers how important is it. Also if you have 1 line on the out side on a number 3 setting does the inside line need a dipsy. Can it be straight back on a snap weight.
    If you run your inside line with only a snap weight or something, it'll end up in your way when your catching Dipsy fish... unless you want to try to reel them in and net them off that side of the boat.

And my 2 cents on snubbers: yes, yes, YES, and HELL YES RUN THE SNUBBERS!!! In my early years, I was losing a lot of fish on the Dipsy's... both strikes that didn't get hooked up, and losing them reeling them in.... until I went to the snubbers. We land better than 90% of fish hooked up on Dipsy's now...probably 95%+...
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Agree with Capt Eric on using snubbers.A dipsey on a 3 setting dives fast and could tangle with an inside line that is not beeper and shorter than the 3 setting.The dipsey with a setting of 2 through zero would be deeper than the 3 setting though.

We run 2 dipseys and 1 jet on each side. Dipseys set at 3.5 and 1.5. When we catch on a dipsey, we move the jet to the center of the boat to a rod holder and net the fish on the back corner of that side. Then let the dipsey out on the same corner with the clicker on and spool speed tightened to slow release until it is out the proper distance and then let the line tighten. No muss, no fuss. We set the 3.5 10 numbers further back than the 1.5. We make wide turns, keeping all lines tight. Snubbers are must. I put snubbers between dipsey and the line from the pole. Some fellas I know put the snubber behind the dipsey and then to the leader. Not sure of the results.

most people put the snubber behind the dipsey but when it's really rough out a snubber in front of the dipsey helps with false releases from the wave surges