Dipsy Dipsy Dipsy Dipsy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dipsy

Most people trolling with big boards are using true trip 40s.Nothing can beat putting limits on board faster than big boards,braid,TT40s and spoons.Most charters are using that method.The problem of using weights when trolling,is the weight and lure sink when they slow down during a turn.If fishing in shallower water or Rocky bottom,can get a snag when making a turn.True trips,jets and cranks float.so they rise up when slowing down.But weights and dipseys sink when they slow down.

The tt40 with spoons do you bait those with worms. I bought some spoons about 4 years ago used snap weight's to get them down but never had much success.

[QUOTE=itsbob;70984]Most people trolling with big boards are using true trip 40s.Nothing can beat putting limits on board faster than big boards,braid,TT40s and spoons.Most charters are using that method.The problem of using weights when trolling,is the weight and lure sink when they slow down during a turn.If fishing in shallower water or Rocky bottom,can get a snag when making a turn.True trips,jets and cranks float.so they rise up when slowing down.But weights and dipseys sink when they slow down.[/QUO

Having your baits sink on a turn is not a bad thing, it can also produce. Like any other program, you have to have situational awareness, and know the characteristics of the tool you are using to attain the desired depth. Unfortunately, most fisherman have to learn these lessons on their own.

I will be entering my 41st year on the western basin of Erie and I've pulled hardware every way you can imagine (and some ya can't). Sometimes I will offer a different way to present a bait, even though it's "OLD" tech, simply because it's on the boat. With the size"0" dipsey I originally bought to run off boards for coho over on Lake Michigan. This presentation was a no brainer when I came back to Erie. I started pulling spoons off them back in the mid 80's before Jet Divers, Tru Trips. Of course now I have Jets and TTs and if I am fishing deep it's easier the match "the word" around the dock with these two products. IMO if you fished "O" Dipseys and Jets/TTs side by side, the catch rates would be close. Now if I were a guy just starting out, and I was targeting Walleye, I would buy the Jets/TTs. It would shorten the learning curve dramatically, but if I came across a handful of "O" dipseys, I'd use them off big boards.

Yeah fishhawk, with that old school trolling experience you have that 0 dipsey was productive to fish with,and still is.As for lures rising or falling in the water column,yes that is a very effective way to trigger fish strikes.That is why a lot of trollers make S turns to trigger bites.I was just pointing out to novices,that you can snag the bottom when lure sinks.Luckily,most of the locations we fished last year were deep enough and had a soft bottom,we rarely had to be concerned about it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    The tt40 with spoons do you bait those with worms. I bought some spoons about 4 years ago used snap weight's to get them down but never had much success.
    No worms... just single hook spoons. However, sometimes tipping with a small piece of worm can help on the days the fish need a little extra convincing...
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Michigan scorpion stinger spoons all come with treble hooks. What brand do you use. Does a single hook matter that much.

Michigan scorpion stinger spoons all come with treble hooks. What brand do you use. Does a single hook matter that much.
    I switch out the trebles with Eagle Claw O'Shaughnessy hook... 2/0... the eye is large enough to go right on the split ring.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Single hooks (#02 siwash) on all my walleye spoons. On my smaller cranks with two hooks (Wiggle Warts, Rattle Tots, ect) iGo up one size on the rear hook and take the front one off. Ant of the cranks with three hooks(Bandits) , I take the front hook off. The main reason.....safety, the fewer hooks the less chance of someone getting stuck. It also makes it a lot easier getting fish out of the net. I se NO difference in catch rates with the fewer hooks.

I'll give that a try. I've gotten those hooks stuck in my hand before spent the day waiting for the doctor to work it out. So I'm on board with that idea.

Capt Eric what is the reasoning in going to a single hook? Better hook ups or less tangling in the net?