Dipsy Dipsy Dipsy Dipsy
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dipsy

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman 2 View Post
    most people put the snubber behind the dipsey but when it's really rough out a snubber in front of the dipsey helps with false releases from the wave surges
    yes, snubber behind the dipsy to keep the fish hooked... When it gets a little sporty out though I will tighten the release... just my personal preference.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Big yes on the snubber. I even started using snubbers on jet divers run straight back. Have not lost many fish since.

I wish this thread was published two years ago when i started using dipsys. Would have really helped out, great info here- this should almost be a sticky.
    About the only thing i could say is that it's best to use braid on your dipsys to the diver- then snubber and a floro leader. I troll for salmon on Lake Michigan and alot of guys use wire for their deep, inside dipsy. I will have two wire divers in use myself this upcoming year. Not only do they run a tad deeper but the wire is supposed to give off a frequency that attracts fish.

Being old and forgetful, I stand corrected-snubber goes behind dipsey. Some guys put them in front. Sorry for the mix-up. Normal for me anymore.

Me and the wife have trolled 4 years with only 2 poles one on each side. Only used weights to get the lines down to where the fish are. Guess I never cared about how many fish I caught just enjoyed fishing. But now I don't get up there as often so I want to fill the freezer. It will be a while before I need a dipsy but looking forward to using them for the first time. I've caught walleye on plainers before in the spring with 3 poles. Adding a 4th this year. I'll post an update on how that all goes.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Me and the wife have trolled 4 years with only 2 poles one on each side. Only used weights to get the lines down to where the fish are. Guess I never cared about how many fish I caught just enjoyed fishing. But now I don't get up there as often so I want to fill the freezer. It will be a while before I need a dipsy but looking forward to using them for the first time. I've caught walleye on plainers before in the spring with 3 poles. Adding a 4th this year. I'll post an update on how that all goes.
    If you plan to run 4 rods this spring off planer boards,a couple rules to help.Longer lead on outside board.If adding weight to line,keep weight all on same side or inside board.Never try to pull a weighted line over an inside/unweighted line.If trying to reel in a fish on an outside board,past an inside board a couple pointers.Turning the boat away from side fish on helps.I would go to opposite side of boat and reel fast to skip the outside board past inside board will work.Learn to use the orange OR19 release on front of board.With that orange release a quick yank on line will pull the line out of that front release and fish will come in behind boat.Good luck.

Can you run a plainer board on the outside and a line straight back in the corner. How much space needs to be between line's.

Hi Everyone,

I was reading this thread, and wondered why no one mentioned running dipsey's on the "Big boards" ?

I run up to 6 dipsey's per side on Big Boards with rubber bands at the line releases.

What I do is run them all on same settings. Example, I set all of them on a zero setting, set them back 100 feet and hook to release. Let out line to get them away from the boat and keep them about 20 -25 feet apart, When a fish hits, let it run behind the boat and then reel it in to the net.

Works great for me. Hope this helps someone out.
    Capt. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by shu9265 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I was reading this thread, and wondered why no one mentioned running dipsey's on the "Big boards" ?

I run up to 6 dipsey's per side on Big Boards with rubber bands at the line releases.

What I do is run them all on same settings. Example, I set all of them on a zero setting, set them back 100 feet and hook to release. Let out line to get them away from the boat and keep them about 20 -25 feet apart, When a fish hits, let it run behind the boat and then reel it in to the net.

Works great for me. Hope this helps someone out.
    Capt. Bill
    I have run them for years. I think it's size "0" is between a 30 and 40 jet. If you run them make sure they are "tuned". All "0" settings are not created equal. Once you set them for direction make sure they are running straight back. Then set as you would a Jet.

If a guy wanted to run a straight diver program, I would go to Slide Divers Lite Bites. It's easy to "stack" three divers (or more) a side. This program would be for someone with a lot of diver experience
    Last edited by fishhawk2700; 01-29-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Don't forget about the Tru-Trips divers! Nothing has done more for big board trolling speed and efficiency that the #40 Tru-Trip!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing