Batteries and Line counter reels Batteries and Line counter reels Batteries and Line counter reels Batteries and Line counter reels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batteries and Line counter reels

I am looking for 2 new Trolling Motor batteries what do you all recommend. I will also need a new starting battery for this season.

Also looking to buy 3 or 4 decent Line counter reels for trolling

Thanks in Advance

John Smith

Have been satisfied with Diawa sealine SG47lc reels I bought for my buddy.Seams like others like the SG27 reel which is smaller in size.They cost around $110 each

Blog Entries

We have been running the same Diawa ADP27LCB line counters for about 9 years now. I did upgrade the handle to the power crank, it's a little longer. The drag work well and has never stuck or failed. The one and only issue we have is every once in a while the line counter doesn't reset to zero. When this happens the reset button needs pushed with some mussel. We run both mono and braided line. Try Frank's Great Outdoors for pricing.

Fish Tales
    Kevin

I've been using the Cabela's DepthMaster ll for about 4 seasons. It may be a introductory level combo rod and reel but I can't complain. The DepthMaster lll is out of stock right now but when they come back in I'm going to buy 2 more. There is 3 models I have the larger model with the power crank handle and geared lower. I believe 4.1 or so. Comes with a 8.7 plainer board rod. $69.99 reel alone is $49.99
    Last edited by badboards; 01-22-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo1974 View Post
    I am looking for 2 new Trolling Motor batteries what do you all recommend. I will also need a new starting battery for this season.

Thanks in Advance

John Smith
    I have tried multiple Daiwa and Penn reels but my favorite by far is the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 line counter. It is much smoother and you can tell as soon as you pick it up that it will outlast any of the other reels.

I have Daiwa LCs that are close to 35 years old and have never been cracked open. This includes some years of charter operation. My planer board reels are SG27LCAs. I have about 25 of them and they are bullet proof. Look around for some used ones. Just be careful they don't come from a salt water environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo1974 View Post

Thanks in Advance

John Smith
    As far as batteries go, group 31 gives you the most runtime. Duracell AGM batteries are a solid, economical choice. If you have a Sam's club membership they can be had for even cheaper. Just so you know, there is a nationwide shortage so grab them asap.

As far as linecounters go the Daiwa has already been mentioned. Shimano Tekotas are top tier performers. The Cabelas depthmaster are re-branded Okuma Magdas, they are considered entry level but overall not bad, I use them myself. If they fail they will be replaced with Okuma Convectors which are very solid.

Maybe that explains why Cabela's DepthMaster combo's our completely out of stock. They had 1 left and I didn't buy it because I needed 2.... I hate to here that. I wonder if the Okuma is american made.

The Okuma Magda pro is included with this combo called Great lakes trolling combo. Comes with a decent looking rod that's 8.6 feet long. I may jump on a couple of those. Any thoughts on a rod that long.
    Last edited by badboards; 01-27-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Okuma Convectors are very nice reels and pretty economical. I've had 4 for about 15 years and they are still working well. No problems.

I am also in the market for a pair of trolling motor batteries. I appreciate the comment on the Duracell AGM and the fact that there is a shortage. It seems like there is a shortage of just about everything these days.

I forgot to mention that I bought a Cablea's Depthmaster III last year and it has a major design flaw. It won't let line out when you flip the lever. It hangs up so you have to pull some line in to get it to release. Major hassle. That one will end up in the bone pile....
    Bordy
    Last edited by Bordy; 01-27-2021 at 04:39 PM.