i-Pilot Suggestions i-Pilot Suggestions i-Pilot Suggestions i-Pilot Suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default i-Pilot Suggestions

Would appreciate information about choices for an i-Pilot for my Lowe FM170WT. I currently run a 70HP Yamaha and have a bow mount Minn Kota 50lb. Power Drive thrust trolling motor but haven't used it much at all. I"m hooked on salmon/steelhead fishing now, and want to upgrade my boat. I'd like to in stall a Minn Kota i-Pilot trolling motor to make it easier for me since I mostly go solo. I'm looking for something with enough power and reserve for at least 6-8 hours of constant trolling on Lakes Michigan, Erie and Ontario. I'm thinking a 12 volt Terrova wouldn't be enough for my needs. The 24 volt Minn Kota Terrovas are about the limit of my budget. Any suggestions and experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

There is some good info on trolling motor selection at Minn Kota's website and TrollingMotors.net. The guides will tell you thrust and length of shaft needed based on size, weight etc of your boat. I'm guessing the Terrova 80 lb thrust 24V would be more than enough to give you all the power you need for trolling under most conditions and as a auto pilot with the 70 hp or a kicker providing most of the power under some conditions. That's what I'm going to set up on my 21 ft Lund. I do not need to link to my finder/GPS unit so I'm getting the basic system without transducers. They run about $1,500. By the time it's completely installed it will be well over $2K but worth it to have the ability to fish alone or with only one other on board. If you plan to use iLink then the cost goes up considerably.

Bordy, thanks for your reply. I'm going to go basic also and not link the trolling motor to my fish finder. Are you going to have yours installed by a marina? I'm trying to figure out installation options.

Hey Skywatcher,
    I'm pretty handy with tools and such so I'm going to mount mine myself. I have a buddy with lots of experience with electronics so will ask for help if I need it. There are some good you tube videos on mounting trolling motors. They point out some of the main issues to be careful about. I watched a few of those and think I can install mine with no problems. But if you aren't confident, then check with a marina. It shouldn't cost that much to have a professional do the job.

You may be able to get a 24 volt motor to troll 6 hours at walleye speeds. On a 17 foot boat. I doubt very much you could make it last going 2.4 to 2.6 mph salmon speeds. What minimum speed does the 70 go. If it trolls down to 2.2 Or 2.3. You could then use your autopilot electric trolling motor running slow to steer with. Make up the .2 to .3 more speed you need. Allot of the bigger boats will use the kicker motors locked in straight at say 80 to 90 percent of the speed they want. Then the autopilot electric for steering. Getting the rest of the speed from. Makes a big difference running your electric at 15 to 25 percent. Compared to say 60 percent or more to get to 2.4 mph.
    Last edited by Snowking; 02-07-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bordy View Post
    There is some good info on trolling motor selection at Minn Kota's website and TrollingMotors.net. The guides will tell you thrust and length of shaft needed based on size, weight etc of your boat. I'm guessing the Terrova 80 lb thrust 24V would be more than enough to give you all the power you need for trolling under most conditions and as a auto pilot with the 70 hp or a kicker providing most of the power under some conditions. That's what I'm going to set up on my 21 ft Lund. I do not need to link to my finder/GPS unit so I'm getting the basic system without transducers. They run about $1,500. By the time it's completely installed it will be well over $2K but worth it to have the ability to fish alone or with only one other on board. If you plan to use iLink then the cost goes up considerably.
    Do they make one for my boat? lol ... I'd need a 9' shaft...
    i-Pilot Suggestions-received_599185954003835-jpg
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I have a 17' Alumacraft with a 24v 80#thrust motor guide i5. It will run my boat about 2.5 max in fairly light wind. Early season I can troll about 6 hours doing 1.0 - 1.5 or so. Come summer and I need to run 2.0 or faster I only get a few hours tops. You might be able to get lithium batteries and improve that. As for me, my boat is in the shop now getting a 9.9 set up on it so I can troll as long as I want, just wasn't satisfied with all electric. I will still use the electric for the GPS steering capabilities and boat control. I had a hard time going slow enough with the main motor, a 140. I have trolling bags and they work pretty well but are a PITA. Now I'm just debating whether to get an iTroll or something like that.

i-Pilot Suggestions-8febc3b1-290e-41d0-b7f6-6be23e72dafa-jpgI have a 4000lb boat with the 36v 72” minkota and 9.9 kicker. I have run the trolling motor by itself and can get about 3 to 4 hours. Use it mainly to steer the boat. Works great. With the kicker running I can get 6 to 8(run it when waves and wind are around 2’). I use Standard AGM batteries with onboard charger. Real nice when perch’n. Spot lock is great.
    Last edited by Proline DC; 02-10-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks guys for all the information. My 70HP will troll down to 2.2 -2.5mph. I would use the i-Pilot mainly for steering to give me more time working the back of the boat. From all your comments, it looks like the the Terrova 24v. 80lb. thrust would work for me. Thanks again.

Default I-Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    Thanks guys for all the information. My 70HP will troll down to 2.2 -2.5mph. I would use the i-Pilot mainly for steering to give me more time working the back of the boat. From all your comments, it looks like the the Terrova 24v. 80lb. thrust would work for me. Thanks again.
    Skywalker, I have Terrova 24v 80lb 60" shaft I-Pilot that I pulled off my Lund Tyee 1950 year before last. I swapped it out with Ulterra 36V 72" shaft, self deploy & stow. The I-pilot Terrova was working great when I pulled it off my boat. It's been wrapped up & stored in my garage in the Ulterra box ever since. If think you might be interested, I'd be very negotiable on the Terrova with you. Let me know if interested & we can set up way to talk.