Ice Fishing this season? Ice Fishing this season? Ice Fishing this season? Ice Fishing this season?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Smile Ice Fishing this season?

Long term forecast starting around January 20 has a few weeks of real cold night temperatures. If so, we might get an ice fishing season this year. Too early to know for sure, but at least the forecast is there instead of 40 degrees and rain. :-)

Ice is forming on some near shore Lake areas, but the forecast has warmed a bit this coming week with two big wind events (Monday night / Tuesday morning, same Wednesday/Thursday). Even if ice does start to form, the wind events will probably break it up and move it around, making any ice thick enough to get on unsafe. Looks like the ice fishing folks will have to wait a week to see the early February forecast.

Any thoughts on if the ice will get there or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rog87 View Post
    Any thoughts on if the ice will get there or not?
    With the temps next week, I think safe ice is coming.

YES. I am NOT an experienced Lake Erie ice guy, or ice fishing. That said, the temperatures the next 10 days are forecast real cold, with some single digit nights and one single digit day. That's going to form a lot of ice and ice thickness. BUT - we have two big wind events the next few days, today and Thursday. Most of the ice that has already formed has been broken up and moved around by wind. So the question probably isn't going to be if we get real solid ice. The question is propably going to be access. All that jumbled up ice pieces will be a chore to travel on, around, and over. You'll probably have to get out aways to find newer smoother ice. Some of the locals on here can post what they see. Webcams in most places show ice made of frozen ice pieces / chunks. Not as safe and not nearly as easy to travel on as nice calm wind real cold temperature ice formation.

It's started, at least at Put-in-Bay Harbor. One shanty and one person ice fishing 200-300 feet off the docks (near the Crews Nest). Now it's probably just a matter of someone, hopefully experinced locals, to check out the ice where they can get good access and a good path out.

Guys went out of Catawba today. About a dozen trucks in the lot. Don't know how far the rest got, but could see 2 guys at least 1/2 mile out towards pt. Clinton.

If its good ice would love to go out of wild wings Saturday. Kinda new to the whole ice fishing thing so any advice/tips would be great. And if anyone else is thinking the same I’d love to tag along and learn. Got my own equipment, and your bar tabs on me afterwards.

As expected the winds today broke off the main sheet of ice off Catawba. Looking like heading out this weekend is out of the question, but I'm still hopeful for late next week.

olouttt Guest

Personally I’m a crappie guy. This season has turned out to be the best ice season I can remember. Both for numbers and size. Have even caught a few bonus walleyes. I have been fishing shallower than I usually do this time of year (last year college took much time - I'd have better used https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/wisеessays/). One of the highly pressured lakes I fish I have noticed the crappies are not biting in the community holes like usual. The afternoon bite has been much better than the night bite, which is opposite compared to most years. This is perfect because the wheelhouse guys stay parked over the negative fish.
    Last edited by olouttt; 02-14-2021 at 03:57 PM.