Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

That's a good idea to add mono to some rods when fishing in the early cold water.Have read quite a few posts where others have used both mono and braid during the cold water bite and,as you have said,the mono can sometimes significantly outcatch the braid.If our winter continues to be on mild side may be only a couple months till boats put in the water.

Thank you Capt Eric for explaining you seem to do better with Mono. So keep the braid for pulling dipsey divers and what about using brain when pulling Tru Trip 40s and spoons?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Thank you Capt Eric for explaining you seem to do better with Mono. So keep the braid for pulling dipsey divers and what about using brain when pulling Tru Trip 40s and spoons?

Thanks,
    Bruce
    All braid for Dipsy's and Tru-Trips... I take the mono off once we're past the early crankbait bite.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Hey lucky duck,I'm sure Capt Eric may want to chime in but the braid,TT40,spoons and big boards is a killer setup and a mainstay of most charters once water temp goes over 50 degrees.I'm sure the charter captains can't wait to switch over from cranks to spoons.They can set up,reel in and get less tangles with the TT40s over the cranks.The fish size gets smaller but the catch rate goes up and they limit faster.That's the same time we switch over to our braid/dipsey/spoon fishing too.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Hey lucky duck,I'm sure Capt Eric may want to chime in but the braid,TT40,spoons and big boards is a killer setup and a mainstay of most charters once water temp goes over 50 degrees.I'm sure the charter captains can't wait to switch over from cranks to spoons.They can set up,reel in and get less tangles with the TT40s over the cranks.The fish size gets smaller but the catch rate goes up and they limit faster.That's the same time we switch over to our braid/dipsey/spoon fishing too.
    That's right!!! Tru-Trips / spoon program = way fewer tangles! It's not so much a matter of limiting out faster, just shooting for that limit every day! Whatever tools I can use to increase our chances, I'll use 'em. Whatever helps us keep more baits in the water for the maximum amount of time - yes. That's the only way to consistently pull limits... Get complacent with the easy fishing, get sloppy, whatever, it'll hurt you on the tough days.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eric View Post
    That's right!!! Tru-Trips / spoon program = way fewer tangles! It's not so much a matter of limiting out faster, just shooting for that limit every day! Whatever tools I can use to increase our chances, I'll use 'em. Whatever helps us keep more baits in the water for the maximum amount of time - yes. That's the only way to consistently pull limits... Get complacent with the easy fishing, get sloppy, whatever, it'll hurt you on the tough days.
    I’ve always used braid with a fluro leader even with cranks. Does the mono really make that much difference? I’d have to switch 10 rods back and forth.

Default yesterdays fish

seemed lot smaller, in the 3lb range, no lunkers like last weekend, fished in that thick fog that refused to burn off until lunch time, it was certainly brisk out, fish came on same program as last weekend, water was a bit murky because of rough seas prior to Saturday, ended up with 20 fish, 4 short of limit, everything seemed to freeze up even the eyelets, weather was tough on equipment, looks like this was a wrap on our January assault on open waters, extremely lucky to have had 5 wonderful outings catching those pre spawn eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I’ve always used braid with a fluro leader even with cranks. Does the mono really make that much difference? I’d have to switch 10 rods back and forth.
    We don't switch the line out, we just add 100' of mono on top of the braid for the early spring... Once we go to spoons, we just cut it off and toss it. And before anyone asks "Doesn't that change the reel calibration?" Yes, a little, but all my reels still match, so once I dial in on a lead that's working, I can duplicate it on all my rods.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eric View Post
    We don't switch the line out, we just add 100' of mono on top of the braid for the early spring... Once we go to spoons, we just cut it off and toss it. And before anyone asks "Doesn't that change the reel calibration?" Yes, a little, but all my reels still match, so once I dial in on a lead that's working, I can duplicate it on all my rods.
    How much line would you actually need to put in if the goal is just to be stealthy for line shy fish? What if I just tie a double uni-knot and add 10-15 feet of mono? Is there another reason you add 100’?
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 01-17-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    How much line would you actually need to put in if the goal is just to be stealthy for line shy fish? What if I just tie a double uni-knot and add 10-15 feet of mono? Is there another reason you add 100’?
    I don't think it's so much about being stealthy... typically we're dealing with a pretty heavy stained water that early in the year. Sometimes just downright muddy. If we're talking about 'getting the fish to bite', I can only guess that the mono may give a little different action on the bait, just as a 2 oz. inline at 6' will effect it different that a 2 oz. snap weight at 50'... but again - I'm guessing! As far as 'keeping the big ones hooked' once they bite, you'll get much more consistent stretch out 100' mono than you would from 15' of mono, and obviously ZERO stretch from the braid.

I'll say again - I can only try to explain what works for us, and why I think it's working. Every day I don't learn something new is a day wasted!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com