Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

i saw at least 7 boats at or near the F can before sunset on Saturday. I was viewing them from West side of catawba so couldn't make out details. Hoping this winter stays mild and we get out in April going after the walleye.
    photo of a great sunset though.
    -winter-coba-sunset-2021-jpg

Stay safe and Healthy ya'll,
    Rickerd

I took a ride to the Huron ramp on Sunday there were 32 boats out. That was around 11.

When I went out with Keith shake down cruise last April noticed a custom Bandit that was really catching well.Keith said Dj made it for him but color was not in his web selection.I had a picture of it and sent it to DJ and he made 3 for me plus a few other custom.Wish I could post picture but my droid doesn't seam able to do.But colors were yellow in front and back and a white middle with a few purple/pink spots on white area.Can't wait to try out.Still waiting for custom white perch bandits from Warrior lures.Also adding new line and calibrating our 8 rods with mono.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    When I went out with Keith shake down cruise last April noticed a custom Bandit that was really catching well.Keith said Dj made it for him but color was not in his web selection.I had a picture of it and sent it to DJ and he made 3 for me plus a few other custom.Wish I could post picture but my droid doesn't seam able to do.But colors were yellow in front and back and a white middle with a few purple/pink spots on white area.Can't wait to try out.Still waiting for custom white perch bandits from Warrior lures.Also adding new line and calibrating our 8 rods with mono.
    Why the switch to mono? I thought about it but opted for the longevity of the braid plus the faster hookups. Just curious what your reasoning is.

Default last week was BOMB with the walleyes

fished last Thursday thru Sunday, along canuck shoreline near Detroit R. got 4 man limits of hogs each day, got two muskies Thursday and two on Sunday, one of which was around the 45 inch area, fished predominantly bandits, chrome was by far the best, pink was hot, ran some husky jerks and bombers, all caught fish, got a really big hog 30in plus around 12 lbs caught and released it, never had better fishing in Jan.....lol

Default oh btw

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    fished last Thursday thru Sunday, along canuck shoreline near Detroit R. got 4 man limits of hogs each day, got two muskies Thursday and two on Sunday, one of which was around the 45 inch area, fished predominantly bandits, chrome was by far the best, pink was hot, ran some husky jerks and bombers, all caught fish, got a really big hog 30in plus around 12 lbs caught and released it, never had better fishing in Jan.....lol

depths were 20ft back in 18ft of water Thursday, it was rough that day only boat out, Sunday we were running 60 back in 20ft water 4 boats out all limits, walleyes were jam packed with shad, nice to see.Sunday the whole lake had a quarter in of ice and we had to find water, lucky to have done so. Ice eventually melted down by lunch
    Last edited by limitlypps; 01-13-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks for all of the information. I am in central also. Just ordered a Nitro ZV 20 Pro from Mike at Sizzle Marine. Black and Orange. I pick it up in March - can't wait! I am glad to hear they are biting. I typically wait until mid April to head up north but I plan on going in late March if weather/lake permits. January is dragging... thanks again.

We didn't switch to mono,we have always used mono with our inline boards.I took about 400ft of line off the reel and tied the new 15# Maxima mono to it and calibrated it down the basement where I have 50ft marked off.We use braid on our dipseys.From what I have read by the best trollers, they think mono works best with inline boards because the mono holds better in the releases and the stretch in the line makes the boards run smoother.They also believe the mono,inline board and crank combination works the best to catch walleye.
    Eyecrazy,I did see picture of you new boat and it looks really nice.You have the enclosed cabin that really helps to keep you warm in the cold.Capt Sam has that same type of enclosed cabin on his boat.Whatever you are doing fishing seams be be working from what I have read on your reports.But having flexibility to change your approach when the bite gets tough can really help.Enjoy your new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    We didn't switch to mono,we have always used mono with our inline boards.I took about 400ft of line off the reel and tied the new 15# Maxima mono to it and calibrated it down the basement where I have 50ft marked off.We use braid on our dipseys.From what I have read by the best trollers, they think mono works best with inline boards because the mono holds better in the releases and the stretch in the line makes the boards run smoother.They also believe the mono,inline board and crank combination works the best to catch walleye.
    Eyecrazy,I did see picture of you new boat and it looks really nice.You have the enclosed cabin that really helps to keep you warm in the cold.Capt Sam has that same type of enclosed cabin on his boat.Whatever you are doing fishing seams be be working from what I have read on your reports.But having flexibility to change your approach when the bite gets tough can really help.Enjoy your new boat.
    Thanks Bob! I gave up trying to get inlines to hold with braid. We’ve been fishing with braid and wrapping the boards since I started trolling inlines. I just like the longevity of the braid and the quick hookups are a plus when we are trolling super low speeds. I misunderstood your post and thought you switched from braid to mono and was interested in how it worked out for you. I’m always learning and you’ve given a lot of good information over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Why the switch to mono? I thought about it but opted for the longevity of the braid plus the faster hookups. Just curious what your reasoning is.
    We top our reels with mono in the early spring... for a few years we played with only one or two rods with mono, then tried 6 mono on one side 6 braid on the other... Some days it doesn't seem to matter at all, but we've seen enough days where the mono side is kicking ass over the braid for some reason. Different action on the baits? I can't say for sure, but sometimes it's a huge difference. I think also that the mono can help with keeping the big fish hooked up when we're pulling real slow in the early spring, a little stretch in the line never hurts! And of course, if we're pulling inline boards, mono is much easier. With the braid we wrap the front clip once and they hold well, but that can be tricky to do with frozen fingers. Anyway, that's what we do, works for us... but to each his own. What works for me may not be the best idea for someone else.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing