Auto Pilot question Auto Pilot question Auto Pilot question Auto Pilot question

Default Auto Pilot question

I am considering installing an autopilot system and would like some advice. I have an older Lund Baron 2100 with outboard and kicker. I do not have a trolling motor now so one option would be to get one for the bow that has an autopilot feature. I have an older Matrix 97 finder/plotter unit but I don't know if it would link to the new trolling motors. That option would be $2000 or more. The other option would be to install a system on the steering wheel. I think some of them are $1500 or less. What are the pros and cons? I only fish a few times each year so I can't justify spending more on an autopilot than I did for the boat! Ha. But I'm retired as of tomorrow so hopefully will have a lot more opportunities this year.
    Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Bordy

look into a si-tex with octupus drive its a behind dash unit think its the sitex 110 sp but i would rather have auto pilot on bow mount like you mentioned

I picked up Garmins reactor kicker autopilot last year. It replaced my tr1 gold. I really like it so far. Nice to not have to mess with tieing in the main motor. Also includes kicker speed control. Depending what kicker you have. I did add a uncle norms plate to the kicker. To give it more rudder control. Not on the cheap side by any means.Dolphin-Trolling Fin – Uncle Norm's Marine Products

Amazon.com: Garmin 010-00705-94 Reactor 40 Kicker Autopilot with GHC 20 Control/Display

Lowrance Autopilot, I just installed this past spring and love it. I have a 21' Crestliner Aluminum and was concerned about control in the wind. Works great, wife loves it no more steering. Fish both salmon and walleye. Also was a easy install, I installed myself, and if I can do it anyone can. Interfaces with Lowrance depthfinder/Gps units and runs like a champ. I also have an outboard, no kicker, troll with main motor.

Since you already have a kicker motor i suggest using the kicker for primary thrust( 70%) and add a 72" 36v Gps bow mount trolling motor to steer and add the remaining ( 30%) thrust. I also had a 2100 Baron ( 1987) and used this exact system and it works amazing. Most walleye fishing boats in the 18-22 ft class use this method. I used my bow mount exclusively if i wanted to run a slow death rig, around 0.8 mph.
    If I wanted to troll cranks 1.5 and above then fire up the kicker and lock it straight then use bow mount to steer and lock a course in. Adding the bow motor gives you features not available on outboard autpilots like spotlock and jog features.
    Personally i have used the Xi5, a Rhodan and currently running a Minnkota Terrova. If you're looking for sonar graph integration it's Lowrance/Xi5 and soon Rhodan- and Hummingbird/Terrova. I liked all the motors Xi5 was good, Rhodan was excellent and I'm running the Terrova on my new boat because I wanted a foot pedal along with remote and Rhodan doesn't offer a foot pedal.
    Last edited by Ltrain; 01-06-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'll look into the bow mount trolling option. It will likely require a new sonar unit but that's not a bad thing since my current one is pretty old.

Ltrain
    Your post really hit home for me. I have been looking to add an autopilot to my boat since the spring of 2018, but as I looked deeper into different systems there was always something that made me want to hold off. My outfit is a 1999 Starcraft Fishmaster 196 with a 150hp optimax and a 9.9 merc kicker. I’m running a Lowrance hook 9 and an Elite 7 HDS. I never gave much thought about using a bow mount. Like you wind control has been a challenge. (Presently I fill my livewell (which is forward/midship) and use drift socks.) This Lowrance auto pilot combined with bow mount seems like just what I need while using Ltrain’s suggestion of using the kicker for 70% primary power. If you have the time, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

TAG, I agree. I've looked into it and that seems to be the best option. I've decided to go with the Minn Kota Terrova 80 lb 24 V 60 in. I won't need to link it to my older Humminbird to make it work so that's the "cheap" option at $1,500. My only concern is if the 60 inch shaft will be long enough for my 1987 Lund 2100 Barron. I think it will most of the time but would like to hear from others. The 72 in models do not come without the sonar units, which adds $500 or more. But normally I don't like to fish in waves over 3 feet anyway or if I do, I troll downwind only. So I think the 60 will work on my boat. Thoughts?

I think my 19.5 ft fishmaster sits lowering in the water than your Baron. Mine came with a minnkota 24v 72". I' embarrassed to say that in 2005 I sold as I saw no use for it since I only fish walleye and steelhead. I wouldn't want to bet on you being happy with the 60" Hope that helps.