Kelly's or Huron this weekend? Kelly's or Huron this weekend? Kelly's or Huron this weekend? Kelly's or Huron this weekend?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kelly's or Huron this weekend?

Long time lurker making my first post. Looking for some feedback for the weekend trip up for walleyes.

Making the drive up this weekend and it's about the same amount drive time to hit Mazuriks or Huron for me. I have not fished out of Huron yet, so a little nervous fishing a new spot, but it's also how you learn right? Seems like the dumping ground is a good starting point going out of Huron?

Or do I stick with east side / north side of Kelly's and fish around the shoals?

For all of you seasoned fishermen/ women what would you do?

Appreciate any feedback.

if i was you i would launch out of mazuriks and fish between cedar point dump and huron dump around 40 fow

the area fisherman 2 is where Capt Porkchop fished last weekend.That info is on the thread below yours.Sure you read it already.That would be a good place to start.With the blow we had Sunday could have water clarity and grass problems.The satellite view from today shows north of Kellies still good,but by weekend,may not be.Either Mazuriks or Huron would be good to launch out of.Sure there will be a lot of boats out this weekend with favorable wind forcast for Saturday and Sunday and warm.

Thank you gentlemen appreciate the info. Yes I did read the report from last weekend, which is what prompted me to think about fishing over in that area. However without ever fishing the area was just looking for a little more specifics. I will fish between the two dumping grounds and see how it goes. I sure hope the grass isn't bad, fished one time a few weeks ago and it ruined the outing, spent more time clearing grass then I did catching fish.

Also thanks for the reminder on the satellite photos, I had forgotten about using them for water clarity.

Appreciate it!

This is such great info. I am making my first November trip for walleye this Thursday 11/12. I plan on launching out of Sandusky. I am fairly new to fishing the islands as well. Driving up from Columbus. What are the dumping grounds and how deep should I start to troll and/or jig? I have jigging raps and hair jigs. Colors and any advice would be so appreciated. I operate group homes 24/7 for people with developmental disabilities and needed a outlet to get my mind off of COVID. I suck at golf, so I picked up fishing about 3 years ago. It has been so helpful. The experts on this site have been awesome - it truly has helped me cached a few big walleyes. I caught a 29 inch walleye off of Marblehead in May jigging. I thought I had a snag. What a rush!! Would love to catch a few more on Thursday. Let me know your thoughts when anyone as a moment. Thank you again! Stokes

When someone posts they are planning to fish on a specific day this late in season,usually means they will be unable to fish due to poor conditions.Forcast seams to be holding out with this stable weather pattern we're in right now for Thursday so you might get out.Not many posting due to fall brawl.A lot of people fished this weekend and not many posts.The most productive way to catch now is trolling with crankbsit and bandits are the favorite of most right now.The jigs catch fish in spring but water too warm for them now.The Huron dump and cedar point dump are close to Sandusky and good areas to catch right now.The dumps are a designated area of lake where they dump dredged material from rivers.They are usually a few feet shallower than surrounding area and sometimes fish relate to that,but fishermen relate to the dumps more due to being a specific location.From few posts I've read,seams the depth of bite not only varies from day to day but also within same day.Juls has a good post on this site from yesterday regarding leads of bandits with and without weights.I would start with the leads she posted and find out what catches and change other rods to that lead too.Hope you are using inline boards.Remember....longest leads on outside boards and if using weights keep them all on same side or inside boards.Never try to pull a weighted crank on outside board over an unweighted inside crank.Good luck.

Thanks so much for the information Bob. I will read Juls post and others also. Very helpful. I do have plenty of bandits and crankbaits. I think I read chrome is a good color pattern to use. I also have been watching the weather forecast and so far so good for Thursday. Oh - I have boards and used in the spring. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks so much for the information Bob. I will read Juls post and others also. Very helpful. I do have plenty of bandits and crankbaits. I think I read chrome is a good color pattern to use. I also have been watching the weather forecast and so far so good for Thursday. Oh - I have boards and used in the spring. Thanks again.

Great info above, I did go out last friday and fished between the dumping grounds in 40-41 fow. 100' back no wts caught most of our fish (puts you about 20' down). Make sure you drive around a bit once you get out there and look for good marks before setting up (learned this the hard way). Anyway tons of fish out there now and they are all fat. Good luck....I'm going out again tomorrow.

Thanks

Thank you Mojo. Can't wait to get out there. I think I have all I need and I printed out all of the instructions from Bob and Juls. Really great information. I am really starting to love fishing more and more. Gets my mind off of work. Appreciate all of the help, this is a great forum. I hope you caught a lot of fish yesterday. Bubba

Capt Sam fished off vermilion for several days too and he has great info on leads,speed and lures on this site.Windsurf is forcasting NE wind Thurs but light enough as of now to fish if your boat big enough.If you get out be sure to post.