Looking for advice Looking for advice Looking for advice Looking for advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for advice

I’m new to this site but have loved everything I’ve been reading. Let me throw this question to the group. I’m coming up to Huron on Wed 10/7. It might be my last chance this fall to use my new boat. But the forecast shows a decent amount of wind coming from the SW. 14 - 18 knots with gusts to the mid 20’s. I think if I stay close in to shore and do some trolling around Sawmill or Cranberry Creek, wave height should be OK. But I’d love advice from you folks who know Erie better than I do. I don’t mind making the trip up from Cinci if it turns into a scrub because I plan on doing some fall work around our house in Huron. But I have a buddy joining me and I’d hate to see him drive all that way only to turn around without doing some fishing. Also, if you agree the lake inshore will be cooperative, if you have any walleye insight around Huron, I’m all ears. Thanks!!

The wave report for Wednesday around the islands is 2 to 4 footers out of the south west that's a little choppy for me. I don't go out if waves are more than 2 feet. check the national data buoy center for the area where your going it's a lot worse.
    Last edited by badboards; 10-04-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Type o

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to keep monitoring things with the hope the forecast improves. No point in taking stupid chances though.

That is some pretty stiff wind in my opinion.. if it was out of the South you would be ok if not to far out. 12 mph.wind is about my max when wind is out of the SW in that area of the lake. unless you have a large boat and do not mind rougher seas.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 10-04-2020 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling

check out windfinder site for huron area...doesn't look good for wends.

Thanks folks for the insight and referrals to some nice weather data sites. The boat’s a 25’ Grady so it should do fine. But the guy driving it probably prefers not to be bounced around like a cork. And my passenger isn’t much of a boater so I’m leaning towards passing. Darn it. My one last chance to get up to the lake before pulling the boat for the season. Mother Nature should learn to be more cooperative!!

Even though wind coming out of the SW both tomorrow and wednsday think too windy to fish.Wind wed to 30mph forcast on windsurf.But thur and fri forcast looks good as of now if can change to a later date.Was reading the few posts this weekend and the catching was poor for walleye all over erie.Saw reasons from weeds,cold front and lake turning over.Texted a captain that fishes around the islands to see if as bad as I had read.He said he trolled both sat and sun and caught a total of 9 and another captain who also fished both days had a total of 5.So the fishing for walleye had become SLOW with this colder weather.Should pick up as weather warms and stabilizes.Saw a couple posts of guys catching some walleye with bandits with 60 lead unassisted.So fish will probably be feeding shallower going forward.Read also that guys were having trouble with weeds off Huron.

Thanks for your input. Truth be told, I just bought the boat and was really looking for an excuse to spend a few hours on it. Catching fish would be icing on the cake. Unfortunately, Wed is the only day this week that works for my schedule. But there’s no sense in getting beat up out there. I might just spend time sitting on it in the marina. Softly crying to myself and cursing this bad luck.

if you stay in close 20-30 fow say from river to the castle cranberry area it prolly won't be to bad...there's got to be like resident fish in there cause there's good structure in there...you may not get alot but may get at least one limit.

Default winds

Quote Originally Posted by kmuth65 View Post
    I’m new to this site but have loved everything I’ve been reading. Let me throw this question to the group. I’m coming up to Huron on Wed 10/7. It might be my last chance this fall to use my new boat. But the forecast shows a decent amount of wind coming from the SW. 14 - 18 knots with gusts to the mid 20’s. I think if I stay close in to shore and do some trolling around Sawmill or Cranberry Creek, wave height should be OK. But I’d love advice from you folks who know Erie better than I do. I don’t mind making the trip up from Cinci if it turns into a scrub because I plan on doing some fall work around our house in Huron. But I have a buddy joining me and I’d hate to see him drive all that way only to turn around without doing some fishing. Also, if you agree the lake inshore will be cooperative, if you have any walleye insight around Huron, I’m all ears. Thanks!!
    I wouldn't go near the lake for the next 3 days. Be safe.