This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Default Re: This Old Boat!

Nice,we use that ,15# maxima mono also.When trolling cranks we use size 2 dual lock snaps.The snaps give the crank the freedom to move properly.Just make sure when you put the crank on the snap make sure the the point of the snap is facing upward.For years I didn't realize it made a difference,but if that point faces down toward the lip of the crank, it will scratch in a semimoon shape on the lip of your crank and inhibit movement.
    Now,if you want to make a leader for using a spoon or harness off a dipsey,we use 20# seaguar flourocarbon at 7ft, with swivel on one end and snap on other.

Blog Entries

Question on the precision trolling app , the line choice shows only 10 lbs test mono if I am using 15 lbs test mono line how much of a difference would this make should I add additional line out for the larger diameter line and if so how much ? Or is it insignificant .

Yes,the dive charts use 10# diameter line.So the 15# will have a slightly wider diameter and will make your lure a little higher in water column than the chart says.But it should not be much,just another variable to where the lure is actually running.When starting out trolling try and cover the water column.I start out with a few lures running where I think I will catch fish, and have some higher and deeper.Let the fish tell you what is working each day.

Blog Entries

Looking at a recent post they gave some info that we are trying to decipher the fish were marked suspended between 17 and 30 feet in 41 ft of water, if using 2 oz snap weights 20/20 what depth would that put a bandit at ?

Most people run the P10 cranks at 20/20,30/30 but when it comes to adding weight between various leads it becomes difficult to pinpoint the actual depth.Most guys say that you get 4extra feet of depth per ounce of weight.So 2oz would add 8ft of depth.So total lead of 40 ft would put a bandit down 12ft and plus 2oz adds 8ft for a total of 20ft.But there are other variables such as speed or even the location of the weight.Going really slow makes that lure go deeper than most think.

Blog Entries

This Old Boat!-modis-5-9-jpg

So after this big blow, we want to try this week end Thursday and Friday . besides finding cleaner water where is a good place to try on the west end of the lake

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post

So after this big blow, we want to try this week end Thursday and Friday . besides finding cleaner water where is a good place to try on the west end of the lake
    I would think by Thursday should have fishable water clarity.Have not had bite switch over to the spoon/ harness bite yet but could happen in the next couple weeks.So still use cranks for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post

Have you been able to get out trolling yet this season?Or will this weekend be first time?

Blog Entries

No put the boat in a couple of weeks ago after finishing up the manifold project I started last year one new battery and DE winterized the engine topped off the fuel tank and she is waiting for me at the dock, I sure Hope to get out end of the week Thursday and Friday with the good weather that is forecast, I will be trying out the trolling gear and what ever else is working in the western end .

Blog Entries

Last edited by MBLMIKE; 05-26-2022 at 01:42 PM.