This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Default Re: This Old Boat!

Sounds like you are acquiring the gear you need to troll to start the season.When spooling those rods,hopefully with mono,would be great to have the reels calibrated to start with.There should be some utube videos on how to do it.If not sure what calibrating your reels mean,that is when you have the proper amount of line on the reel to correspond with the line counter on the reel.That way,when your line counter says you put out 70ft of line,you actually have 70ft of line out,and more importantly,the other rods will match that same amount of line too.You will also need some inline boards too,if you don't already have them.I have only used the offshore brand and they work great.Good luck.Any questions just keep them coming.

Blog Entries

https://youtu.be/QLzC26NvgM4

Thanks this article above from precision trolling shows how to calibrate your reel for accurate depths. I am so glad you gave the recomendation to view , I was just about to spool up my line and would have made the mistake of cutting off the spool before calibrating .
    I also down loaded the precision trolling guide and from what I have seen and read it looks like its probably one of the least expensive but very important addition so far to the trolling world .

Good to hear you decided to calibrate your new line counters.I added two more rods this off season.I spooled and calibrated them couple weeks ago.Marked 50ft in my basement and used that length to calibrate.I actually add 40ft to the reel after i'm spot on due to occasionally taking off 10ft and retie a snap on.i go several years before taking off 400ft and respooling reels since we fish only 12 times a year.
    You can actually get pretty close to having the proper amount of line on your reel without calibrating.The charters change their line at least once a year and i don't think all of them calibrate their reels.One captain i know,told me he doesn't calibrate his 20 reels with the braid he uses.He said he calibrates one reel and then matches the same diameter of line to his other identical reels.That gets him pretty close to having the proper leads to all his rods when fishing.March finally here.Ice should move out and melt soon.

Blog Entries

Report shows water temp off Toledo is 37 degrees and the Maumee River run has begun with limits being had by a few brave Cold water anglers ,I looked at the Huron River lake erie cam and watched as a boat made its way back in has any body on the west end been out yet ?

Yeah I watched a few boats head out Huron yesterday.Nobody posted fishing except a post on 10 trailers in the lot.Do not think any other ramps open yet.Still too much ice west of islands.

Blog Entries

This Old Boat!-bandits-jpg got my ducks I mean Bandits in a row now just need some time and good weather

Tried to expand your pic to no avail.But looks like you got a good mix of Bandit colors to start with.Watch the posts and try to run leads that had caught recently and start with those leads trolling.Longest lead on outside board always.Good luck.

Blog Entries

Yes got the ones most often refered to in posts and will add to them some custom colors as needed .

Blog Entries

Got four reels spooled with maxima 15 lbs mono then calibrated them as shown. question what type of snaps are best and with or with out swivel ?

We use cross lock snaps with cranks but use swivels on spoons and harnesses.

IMHO swivels interfere with the action of crank baits but swivels help prevent line twist if spoons or harnesses role. Also we find a higher hook up ratio on spoons when they are on swivels.
    Mike