This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Default Re: This Old Boat!

There is a lot of gear you need to troll,but just starting out I can let you know what I run and has worked well for me.I buy most of my gear from Fish USA but lately some of my orders have been back ordered due to supply chain issues.So don't wait to long to order.I would start out with at least 2 and preferably 4 rods to start.
    The Diawa SG27lc reels work well and pair them with Diawa wilderness rods in medium action 8' length.I would spool those reels with Maxima ultragreen 15# test monofiliament.
    Get the offshore OR inline planer boards.Buy some #1 black dipsey divers.
    If getting some crankbaits start with Bandit in stock colors.Scopion stinger spoons are another popular brand to use too.
    Lots of other brands work well too and there are a lot of ways to successfully troll.Good luck with your boat and getting started trolling.

The offshore OR12 inline planer boards.I have modified them with kit that makes flag pull down when fish is on.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info always good to hear from you itsbob just ordered a panther 35 hp trolling motor mount going to mount on starboard side and to make it easy just run the steering cable from inboard rudder fulcrum, and run the controls up the starboard Gunwal so steering can be controlled from main wheel , I will look at the suggestions you gave and order a few items to start out with maybe just 2 or 4 rod combos to start with and planner boards

Blog Entries

No Daiwa reels what do you think about Okuma magda pro line counter reels?

Blog Entries

Well there was only 1 Daiwa reel available so option is okuma

It always helps if you can match all your gear. As in the same reels, line, planer boards, etc. This will help keep your spread even and also help you duplicate depths easier when you start dialing in your program for the day.
    The only exception is we use different length rods, running the longer rods on the outside.

When you first start it is easier to run only a couple lines on each side until you get the feel.
    And don't let a tangle now and then get you down, it happens to everyone. It gets better with practice.

Last check your lines often. Walleye are notorious for hanging on, not to mention little whites etc,

Good luck, have fun, and I hope to see you out there.
    Mike

Yeah Mike,I have 2 Diawa reels on back order too.The okuma reels will work.And starting out with 2 is just fine too.Don't worry,when it comes to trolling gear and lures the buying never stops.It's like women and their shoe buying.

Blog Entries

Red face Re: This Old Boat!

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Yeah Mike,I have 2 Diawa reels on back order too.The okuma reels will work.And starting out with 2 is just fine too.Don't worry,when it comes to trolling gear and lures the buying never stops.It's like women and their shoe buying.
    ok I can relate to that I counted over 300 pairs one time a few years ago . but its all good she is probably counting my boats got 3 and looking at number 4 .

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Store the excess shoes in the excess boats. Win win.

Blog Entries

Got a okuma reel in yesterday waiting on rod just ordered the one will check it out and if it works will order a few more